LOVE LOVE LOVE my birds but threatening to throw em in a pot.... sigh help please advice needed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gigglssmls, Mar 7, 2013.

1. gigglssmls

gigglssmls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2012
    Good day my Fowl loving friends! I love my chickens and gees and rooster so very much however, I am down to 4 hens due to culling as a result of an airborne illness that ran rampant. Lost two. Anyhow, that was a few months ago. Now I have two geese, a rooster, and four hens. One hen has NEVER laid but judging by what I know about hens I know she is an older gal and may just be past her laying days.... but the other three are healthy and yet I am only getting eggs every other day and when I do the maximum is 2! The usual is ONE. I am frustrated. I am following everything I have read and learned... watching their nutrition, keep their coop and nests very clean... fresh water etc.

Anyhow, I am looking for any advice, tips, or knowledgeable input that might help me get my production up. could it be the weather???

I am terminally ill and money is TIGHT so we rely on the eggs to help with food and budgeting. Hoping to be able to add to the flock in a few weeks with three or four more hens but for now we NEED the eggs. I look forward to hearing from you and appreciate in advance the time it will take you to both read and reply to my post.

God Bless,
    Michelle T

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    It may still be early for your gals. I have four layers and only two of them are laying. My older two gave me two eggs during a warm wave and then quit again when we got snow. Check for parasites as those can cause hens to seriously slow or stop. Otherwise, I don't know what else to tell you. I hope it's just the light as most wormers you can't eat the eggs for a month after.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It's hard because there are so many factors. What is the weather like where you are? How much light are they getting? Breeds? Ages? What type of feed are they getting?

4. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    I agree..it depends on their age, breed, light....

Some breeds only lay every other day. Hopefully, their egg laying will pick up when the weather gets warmer. You may try adding some apple cider vinegar to their water..it works wonders.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree, we need this info in order to help. Let us know!

6. gigglssmls

Oct 28, 2012
    Weather is pretty cold right now still... but we have days where the sun is out. We have one more week or two of cold temps 30's to 40's so maybe it is the weather? One of my hens and the Rooster and both my geese my tolouse and my Embden go out rain shine hail etc lol.... but the rest of my hens stay faithfully INSIDE the coop even if I put them outside within 10 minutes they are back in. I just want to make sure they are getting whatever nutrition they need from scratching for bugs etc. I am READY for Spring weather here in Missouri.

7. gigglssmls

Oct 28, 2012
    OH and ty for all of your input.... if you have more feel free. I am always open to information from more experienced fowl lovers. [​IMG]

8. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I am in colorado and two of my holdouts just started laying again! They are my oldest gals (3years) and EEs. Six months and FINALLY green eggs again. So never fear, there is still hope!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by