Love my Araucanas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Must Be Losing It, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I have to tell you, I didn't know much about the breed but knew I wanted some rumpless, tufted, green egg laying chickens. Bought the eggs on ebay and have 4 wonderful little birds. It has proven to be one of my favorite breeds to hatch.

I have hatched silkies, cochins, polish (totally crazy birds) sultans, mille fleur d'uccle, belgium antwerps, guineas and turkeys. And other than my cute blue slate poult, the Araucana's have the best personalities. They are waiting for me every morning, chirp happily when they see me, are extremely social and friendly and are cute as all heck. I had no idea they were such great birds or did I just get lucky?

Signed,

A happy rumpless owner

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I am glad you are enjoying them [​IMG]

What a blessing when you have social chickens!!!

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LOL Mine are scaredy cats when it comes to me.... but I still love them! [​IMG] I love the sounds they make and the look they have. I can't wait to get more! [​IMG]

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    We like them well enough to have 3 flocks now. Unfortunately, everything they have hatched out has been boys! I have another hen sitting on 12 eggs now so maybe, just maybe, we will get a few pullets from her.
    We adore the blue eggs and the birds are quite friendly. Though more skittish when they know you are about to pick them up, they come running for treats and will happily eat out of our hands.
    I am sure this is a breed we will always have on our property.[​IMG]

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Same here! Mine are scared of me but they follow me with this inquisitive personality that is so intoxicating. I just love them.

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, they're brave so long as you only observe [​IMG] LOL I need more hens... I have 2 cleanfaced rumpless roos and one tufted tailed hen [​IMG]

7. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    The bird in my avatar was Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert. RIP. She had the most wonderful personality of any chicken yet, but in general I like all of the araucanas I've had so far. [​IMG]

8. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:WHAT HAPPENED?

9. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    That was the Great Chicken Massacre, back a coupla months ago now. I made not one, but TWO stupid mistakes which allowed one of my dogs to kill most of the birds I had at that time. Fortunately the mf cochins were on the sun porch, so they survived!

I use her as my avatar in part to remind me to not get stupid again!

10. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I understand. I left my naked neck as my avatar to remind me to be more cautious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by