Love my australorps!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grullablue, Feb 12, 2009.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I have 6 aussie chicks and 4 RIR chicks. Whenever I'm picking the shavings out of the food, or just mingling with my hand in the brooder, the aussie chicks are all over my hand....I will have a circle of little aussie chicks around my hand, investigating, it's SO cute! The RIRs don't do this...but the aussies are just so bold!

I do hope they stay this way as adults, after my crazy leghorns, I do hope to have some friendly chickens!

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    They will !! Just wait until they are full grown and crowd around you while trying to do something in the yard !! Or opening the feed bin and 6 or 8 of them try to fly on your back [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Our Australorps our one of the most curious chickens about any and everything. We love them and have really enjoyed them; not to mention the fact they are great egg layers too, especially in the winter time. [​IMG]

3. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Is that one in your avatar? Beautiful! The chicks are cute, but I sure can't wait for them to grow up already! I'm amazed how bold the australorps are, they make me laugh!

4. lcountry

lcountry Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    I love our australorp - Penguin. She is friendly, bold, curious and basically just in charge. In fact, I'm waiting for our new australorp babies to get here on Tuesday!

Not to hijack, but I'm so excited! This is my first ever chicken order - 2 brahmas, 2 australorps, and 2 leghorns. I'm feeling like a kid waiting on Christmas![​IMG]

5. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    i am so jealous, mine did not make the trip during shipping. she was so cute too.

6. Hambone02

Hambone02 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    I just got my order in today from Cackle. 10 RIRs, and 5 ea Barred Rocks and Australorps.

They're all awesom, but your right. My Ausies and BRs seem a lot more curious than the RIRs--though they are friendly (of course, they're only a couple days old!)[​IMG] They all love my wedding band!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I ordered 2 little girl australorpes and they by far the most friendly little ones in the bunch! Mine like yours, wants to be held constantly and will try and not have to get down, They are just 10 days old now and you have got to practically peal them off of your hand to put them back in the brooder! Such little sweeties I kinda wish that I had ordered alot more of them! This is my first chicks ever, so i didn't know that they are so much sweeter than the others but now i Do! Glad to here your really enjoying yours too! OH the girls names are Emma and Whinney.

Birdbrain2, Im so sorry that you lost yours do to shipping, I almost lost whinney to wrey neck in the shipping process So I know how aweful that can be! Stormy

I Just love my babies!

8. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    Birdbrain2, Im so sorry that you lost yours do to shipping, I almost lost whinney to wrey neck in the shipping process

whats wrey neck? i had some that their heads or necks were stuck in ugly positions, is that what that is? i had to cull those. is that treatable? did i do the right thing?​

9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    wrey neck is where there neck is in a weird position, almost bent over to there tail end, and I thought she would die but I just left her alone for a little while and she straightened back up but it took about 2 hrs to totally be able to hold her head right, but she is fine now. I had read some of the post on it and all said that you should not try and straighten them. So I didn't touch her except to set her in a corner for balance. As far as the culling I don't know. If she would have stayed that way much longer I might have done the same. Stormy

10. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I have to agree, I added 2 Australorp and 2 marans last summer and my Australorp are the friendliest of the bunch. They are right there whenever i'm in the coop wanting to see what I'm doing, are always the first out when they free range and they come galloping over to see
    what I've got for them whenever I go out the back door. They are by far my favorite breed.

Have fun with your chicks... I'm tempted to get more this spring.

Nancy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by