Love my chickens in KY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rainbowsandy, Oct 1, 2015.

1. rainbowsandy

rainbowsandy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2015
    Kentucky
    We are new to chickens. We got our first golden comets in July of 2015
    We currently have golden comets, speckled sussex, buff orpington and cuckoo marans
    I learned about your forum, BackYardChickens.com, from researching the internet and really enjoyed learning from you all.
    My husband, our kids and myself are really enjoying our chickens but the dog not so much.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on getting your chicken adventures underway :celebrate Chickens are a fantastic hobby and are something the whole family can enjoy together as you have found out. I'm sorry to read your dig is not enjoying them as much as you all are. I would advise that you don't leave the dog near them unsupervised and your flock is safe from the dog too. I'm lucky that my dogs are good with the birds but my mother has had terrible trouble with hers. He just does not like them at all. I'm afraid it's ended up a sad situation as he managed to kill one and attack another when they thought he was locked away. Just double check everytime where the dog is.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. rainbowsandy

Jul 12, 2015
    Kentucky
    Thanks!!! Yes, we keep our chickens in a large pen with a run and hang a large sign on the house door "The chickens are out!" when they free range so no one (hopefully) will open the door to let the dog out.
    I'm pretty sad right now though. I think one of my chickens has Marek's disease. At least that is what I'm thinking because she has become lethargic and one of her legs keeps stretching out behind her. I'm very heartbroken and wish I could help her.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Does she have any other symptoms? Is she doing this a lot? What is her weight like? How is she breathing? I know this may sound silly but you don't think that she could be sunbathing? Mine often lay with a leg stretched out when they are in the sun and often drop off to sleep too.

5. rainbowsandy

Jul 12, 2015
    Kentucky
    No, I wish but she is definitely sick. She hasn't been herself for a bit. I thought it was blocked crop and I massaged it and fed her yogurt, olive oil and crumbles mushed up in the oil. She seemed to get a bit better but never for long. I awoke to her this morning extremely lethargic, her bottom eyelids look white and swollen, her iris looks grayish. She can't walk just stands there and when she tries to take a step her leg goes behind her and she falls over. She appears to be sleeping constant. It's breaking my heart.

6. steven29128

steven29128 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    South Carolina USA
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

7. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  8. rainbowsandy

Jul 12, 2015
    Kentucky
  9. rainbowsandy

Jul 12, 2015
    Kentucky
    Thank you so much Yorkshire Coop. I will definitely do that. Thank you for your quick response!!!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes, please DO keep an eye on the dog. Generally dog + chickens = dead chickens. Dogs can also get jealous of time spent with chickens instead of them.

Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock, very glad you joined us.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by