love my LG

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emit, Apr 3, 2009.

1. emit

emit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Charleston WV
    Well for all the people that have a LG bator I am really feeling the pain of baby sitting. Today for some knowing reason the temp. took off up an then down. the high was 101 to a low of 98 This bator is the most unreliable thing I have ever owned. After this hatch I will NOT use it again for hatching! I think that the millers the people that make this lg should have some other kind of thermostat in it. Well just wanted to blow off some steam I still have 12 more days of baby sitting.

2. favoritekitty

favoritekitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I hated mine, too. I spent $150 on the stupid thing and I watched it like a hawk for 21 days straight. It took up almost my entire life during those days! I constantly had to "tweek", we called it, to keep it at a steady temp. Thank God I had it plugged in for days before I even got my eggs because I knew it was going to be a pain in the ass!

The teeeenie knob for the thermostat was insane. They couldnt find a better idea?

3. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I have 4 of them, and I love them. They work perfectly and I haven't had a problem yet. With the LG's though, you just have to make sure that your house stays at a constant temperature, with no drastic changes. I keep my house at a constant 75*, and the incubators have had no flucuations at all.[​IMG]

4. emit

emit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Charleston WV
    You are right about the romm being a constant temp. I don't know to many people that has that. I have a fan in the attic that goes on for heat and moister. When it goes on I drop about 1/2 degree. I see where all kinds of people make their own I may do that only make it out of wood. [​IMG]

5. cms1113

cms1113 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    DE
    Quote:I agree. We kept our house at 68 degrees the whole time and i haven't had to watch mine at all! Of course i still check the temp 24/7 but there really was no need

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

My LG shorted out and I cooked eggs at 120 just as they were shorted. I'll never buy another one of those again....

I did just buy a Hovabator at lunch, so I'll get back to you next week after everything HOPEFULLY starts hatching...

7. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    I just got my LG bator--
    is running now while I adjust the temps...
    I put a different thermometer/humidistat in there... hopefully it will do it's job... Momma left 2 eggsin the nest after one hatched...

I'm having trouble getting the humidity over 40%--- but I believe it is the cheapo humidistat, as I KNOW the inside of that 'bator is WAY more humid than our house is-- and it reads the same in it or out!!

Wish us luck!

8. brkuk

brkuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    LG's take patience. I put a old pill top on my knob and marked it at 100 dgs. My first hatch I watched it like a hawk and got 10/11. I just hatched 25/35 shipped eggs this week. My cheap a-- loves the LG.

9. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Quote:Ditto

10. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im brand new , my first hatch was 100% my second hatch was about 9o% one egg didnt hatch. I run a LG still air bator with no turner. My LG gives me issuse sometimes but I cause them, the room temp drops and I try to TWEEK it to fix it then spend the next 2 days getting it right. My cat unpluggs it and instead of leaveiing it alone to come up to temp I TWEEK it to get them warmer, ect if you set it up and run it get it to the right temp put youre eggs in and then NOT adjust it while they are warming up and youre room stays a constint temp they do well its us TWEEKing them and there enviroment being unstable that cuases most the problems. BUt I would still love to have one of those brineseas on sale for 99 cause a styro bator is a stryo bator is a stryobator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by