1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Love my new nipple watering system!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by goodbull92, Mar 22, 2012.

1. goodbull92

goodbull92 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    NE Texas
    The most time consuming maintenance I have been dealing with has been keeping the shavings & other crap(litterally) out of the water.....until now! I just finished my low pressure nipple watering system that I made from suggestion/designs found here at BYC. I absolutely LOVE IT!!! My total cost was under $65 too! I got 25 nipple screw connectors for $14 on Ebay. Here are a few pics from the first chicks that discovered it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Terrific!

3. Once you go to the nipple, you don't go back :)

4. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Love the nipple.....never a standard waterer again.....

5. anandafarm

anandafarm New Egg

Feb 24, 2012
    That is great, I think we will try it this spring!!

6. The thing about using the nipples, it's so inexpensive and it doesn't really take any skills to make a really cool watering system that's a closed system thereby keeping dirt and disease for hurting your cluckers. It's well worth the minimal time and effort.

7. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Best part is you can use anything for a resevoir and make it as simple or complex as you went and it is all very inexpensive and soooooooo much less work and healthier for your chickens due to cleaner water. I used a plastic planter for my resevoir and it works great...Has coupler to remove and clean if necessary or add on more nipples with longer pipe......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    How are the nipples screwed into the pipe? Did you tap it or just drill and use the threads to mash down as they screwed in?

9. ScottLovelandCO

ScottLovelandCO Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Loveland, CO
    My Coop
    I noticed that you have the nipples as part of your brooder system. At what age did you introduce your chicks to them?

10. goodbull92

goodbull92 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    NE Texas
    I initially had a problem getting the plastic nipples to screw into the PVC pipe but I finally figured a method that worked for me. I drilled the holes with the 11/32 bit that was recommended & then I used a coax cable connector to thread the PVC(can get at Wal-Mart or similar they are used to join cable TV cables together). Once I unscrewed the coax connector, the nipple screwed in very easy. When using the coax cable union I used a 7/16 socket & ratchet to turn it. I hope all that makes sense.

The coax cable connector(union) looks like the one in this link:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=05760089000

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by