Love my rooster....but.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechickenfarmer, Jul 13, 2007.

1. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi Everyone,
    I have a 1 year old buff orp rooster. He's a great guy, not agressive with me or the kids and always looks out for his girls. The problem is he's huge and kind of rough with them during mating. The girls have lost feathers on the back of their necks and now some are loosing wing feathers too. He squashes them to the ground and does "it" a lot. I have only 5 buff orp and barred rock girls in with him now (all the same age as him) and they have tons of room. He's the only rooster I've had so I don't have anything to compare him to. I've read that not all rooster are this tough on the girls and don't know if I should consider looking for a more gentle rooster. Another problem I have is I was hoping to add 10, 8 week old pullets in with him sooner rather than later but I'm worried he will be too rough. Will he try to mate with the young ones or will he wait till they are older? I like having a rooster and don't want to loose him but I also don't like the over-mating. Will he slow down with age? Thanks for any advice, Jen [​IMG]

2. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    he'll slow down with age and he'll end up getting a favorite hen.

don't put in your eight week olds with him. they are WAY too young. if he doesn't try something, the other hens with peck at them to try and establish pecking order.

get saddles for your girls. that will help them not lose their feathers.

3. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case. I was going to look this up in my book but since you brought it up....... What is the right age for my 8 week olds to be with the grown ups? I was thinking around 12 weeks???? I hope that right cause I'm running out of room..ha ha ha [​IMG]

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I put my 8 week old girls in the coop a week ago and they are doing great. Zaxby even calls them over when he finds a treat for them. He's a sweetheart of a roo & so far the 5 hens I kept after selling the rest are getting along good with the new girls. They are more out going then some of the other chicks I had in the past. Maybe thats why their getting along so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by