love my silkie hen- what a mama

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tomjoad, Sep 27, 2010.

1. tomjoad

tomjoad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Norman, OK
    So, a few weeks ago I bought a couple of older silkies (salt & pepper) at the swap meet, planning on using them to raise chicks. Neither seemed to be as broody or inclined to set the way I remembered them to do when I was a kid. Well, a couple of days ago Pepper went broody on one egg. Couldn't get her off the nest. Atwoods was still selling chicks, so I came up with an idea. After she sat for just one day, I bought five chicks, and replaced them for her one egg after night fell. This little hen is doing great now, although she did seem to have some stress the next day. She was like- dern- where'd my egg go, and what are these things crawling all over me. By the second day, though, she was a bona fide mama. She is sure something to see. I'm amazed at the mothering instinct these silkies have, and I lament that most of our modern breeds have had the broodiness bred out of them.

Although I grew up raising silkies, years an years ago, I really don't like feather footed birds. I know there is probably a thread out there already, but can anyone suggest a clean legged bird for broodiness. I've heard orpingtons are good. Also, and it makes sense, but do you think a hen is a better mother if she was actually raised by another hen, or does it matter?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awww, how cute! I'd love to see the pics of that! About other breeds. [​IMG] I like you have heard that the Orpingtons can be broody, but thats about it. Maybe someone else will come by with some other ones. [​IMG]

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
  4. tomjoad

Aug 22, 2010
    Norman, OK
    She did so well that I went and got a few more, she now has seven babies. Out of the second batch I presented to her, she only accepted the chicks that looked like the chicks from the first batch. Tried to peck the oddballs, so I guess I'm gonna raise those. Atwoods had bantam straight runs for 1.50, which is about half the usual price, also bought some banded pullets for 1.50 each- I am sooo addicted to birds.

One of the chicks is a frizzle cochin- very cute. It likes to perch on mama's back. I also got a couple of standard size chicks, but they are small, black & white, I wonder what they are. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics. Will try to post more under "what am I".

[​IMG]

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I only have one buff orpington and she's a hatchery bird that I brooded. I have to say though that she is a great momma--nobody messes with her babies and she's brooded sets of chicks for me this year. I fostered chicks on her once, gave her turkey eggs to hatch once, and then fostered chicks again when she went broody the third time. Two of my three hatchery EE's have also been good broody hens and one of my Black Australorps.

ETA: MY BAD!! Congrats on your silkie momma and all the new little ones!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  6. tomjoad

Aug 22, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Thanks, I forgot about the Austrolorps, but I've heard they were good too. And, Ive been wanting some EE'ers. I'm planning on a big order this spring, and I think I'll get those, some orpingtons, and probably some more Red Star hens. Man, I love those Red Stars for laying- they are not too smart, but they lay early aand regularly. And they like to be petted. I ordered from Murray McMurray this year and I was really pleased with the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by