1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

love or hate?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickiemama1010, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    one of my hens roosted on the roof of the barn last night. try as we might to get her down and put her to bed, she just kept going higher up until she was on the peak, so we let her sleep there, not much we could do about it. and we figured theres no way a coyote or for that matter much of anything could get to her waaaaaaaaaay up there. This am when we let the rest of the flock out it was a beautiful reunion, like from a movie, running in slo-mo across the yard to the roo. But then when she got close to him, he tucked his head and put one wing to the ground and ran a few circles around her. It was almost like he took a bow and did a dance. He did this several times. He didnt dare mount her, I was standing a few feet away, and roo and I have already talked about that alpha thing and he has learned his lesson well about whos in charge (me). But I have never seen him do this "dance" to a hen before.

is it some kind of chicken courtship? or was it a dominance thing? maybe a little scold for her absence? Just wondering.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I have no idea but I wish you would have caught it on camera, it sounds adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I picture him inviting her to dance the Tango (once you leave, of course.) [​IMG]

4. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    My little silkie roo dances around all his hens in a circle... trying to woooo them. I think it is so cute and funny!!

[​IMG]

5. Chickiemama1010

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    he didnt peck her, or try to chase her or puff up at her, just looked like he put his wing to his waist and bowed. I am inclined to believe he was welcoming her back to the flock, like a chicken hug. he led her to the compost pile where the others were (their fave spot to scratch around) after his dance. He didnt act aggressive at all toward her. It WAS kinda cute...

6. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    You know it. He was happy to see his hen!! [​IMG] So cute!

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Sounds like a woo-dance to me! [​IMG]

8. Chickiemama1010

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    Thats what I figured. He does enjoy the company of his ladies, and he is a good roo to them. Treats them kindly, looks after them well. Guess he missed her, and was glad to see her. Maybe a little courting going on there. Like a couple in the airport making out after one of them returns from a long trip.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    That is the rooster dance. Mine do that before they mount the girls. I've always assumed it's a type of courtship ritual. [​IMG]

Funny story along the same lines- when I first rescued the barn cats they were kittens and too young to go out in the yard. I tossed them in the chicken coop/run for safekeeping. After about an hour the chickens learned that they were bigger than the kittens and started treated them like adolescent chicks. The kittens stayed in the coop for about 2 months. After they were fixed and had their shots, I started letting them out to play. Well, I couldn't find Dodger one evening when I got home. It seems Dodger the cat has more curiosity than sense and managed to get himself up a tree higher than he could get back down. I searched and searched that night and nothing. I finally gave up and just got up really early the next morning to go back out to search. I saw him up on the limb and managed to get him back down. During all of this, the chickens were lined up along the edge of the run watching and fussing. When I got him on the ground they all raised a HUGE ruckus. I didn't think anything about it though. Just figured they were being chickens. I went in the get ready for work and left Dodger to his playing. About half an hour later I heard a commotion from the coops. I went dashing out figuring that something was breaking in and slaughtering them all. All of them were crammed up in the corner of the run looking at something at the front of the yard. They were ALL screeching and fussing like crazy. I started searching for the predator. Nope. Nothing. What I did see was Dodger up the tree in the front. [​IMG] I coaxed him to the ground and instantly all the chickens shut up. I finally figured out that they thought the kittens were sadly mis-shapen chickens. They were telling him he was an idiot much like they do young chicks that act inappropriately. [​IMG]

10. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    It was a courtship dance...my roo does it to his hens. I think it's to "announce" that he's in the mood!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by