Love the site

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dadeo, Jun 27, 2016.

1. dadeo

dadeo Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    West Virginia
    I've been following for a while but just officially joined. My daughter wanted to get into chickens, and my wife does nothing part way, so after some basic research and a few trips in my wayback machine I'm the proud owner of a mixed flock of 29 chickens (7 died as little chicks, including four the first day). Looking forward to more of the collective wisdom I've already enjoyed from "outside the coop".

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. It's normal to lose a couple chicks but, did you discover why you lost more? I'm wondering if you were sent sickly birds?

How are the remainder doing now? Any photos for us to see?

3. dadeo

dadeo Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    West Virginia
    The first four we lost were bantams, on day 1. Another one got stuck in feeder at about two weeks old, and the fifth, well, no idea, that was week three. The chicks were delivered two days later than planned - dehydration?

The rest are doing great! They have a large coop and run that they share with two alpine goats, and for the last three weeks or so they've been free-ranging. They are now 10 weeks old. Nesting boxes and a larger roost (I thought the original was plenty large, but 6-7 stay in the floor at night - the bottom two rungs go unused).

Here's a couple photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I'm sorry to hear about the losses, but glad to hear the rest are doing and looking well!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by