Love this bird, would love more

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mamagigi, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Mamagigi

Mamagigi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Near Ft. Stewart
    Hi all. We sort of jumped into chickens without really knowing as much as we've researched. Hubby said we could so we didn't give him time to change his mind. :D We picked up this gal and I love her. She is sweet and will curl up in my arms to sleep. She is always one of the first to run to me anytime I come out. Supposedly, she is a BO, but after looking at MANY pictures I don't think so (could be wrong and I wouldn't mind that). Can anyone help me identify her? We'd love to get more like her. She's so gorgeous and shimmers in the sun.

[​IMG] She is constantly moving so this is the only profile view I can get.

[​IMG] The white band around her neck has white feathers laced around the edges with the orange color. They are long, narrow points of white. Her beak and legs are gorgeous yellow.

[​IMG]Again she is wet after dipping for mites. She's in quarantine here with some of her former flock mates.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It's a red sex link. These are also known as Cinnamon Queens, Golden Comets, and all kinds of other names. These are top laying hybrid mixes designed for top laying of brown eggs. Almost every hatchery sells a version or two of these.

3. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    How is her egg production? Just wondering...
    (By the way, I don't have any red sexlinks, one of my chickens is named Cinnamon, so that's where my username came from.)

4. AvianEgo

AvianEgo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Minnesota
    Yep that's a red sex link/red star

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes...Red Sex Link/Gold Star/Red Star/Cinnamon Queen...as Fred's Hens said whatever formula of hybrid the hatchery used and calls it depending upon which red/gold type rooster they used over which white/silver type hen.

I have 6 of them in my flock and they all have good natures and are super layers of large brown eggs.

Wonderful to get as chicks as you KNOW by their color which ones are the girls (red or reddish coloring on yellow) and boys (all pale yellow)....no wasted time with raising up roos.

Enjoy her.
    Lady of McCamley

6. Mamagigi

Jul 9, 2013
    Near Ft. Stewart
    Thanks everyone! This is going to be a horrible question. At what age do roos begin crowing and what age will they be ready for eating? If I know which ones are roos, I can plan on Sunday dinners before they become a nuisance, I hope. Also are RSL dual purpose or just for egg laying?

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

People can and do eat RSLs, both males and females, but they are not dual purpose birds. Eat the cockerels at 18-20 weeks.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. Mamagigi

Jul 9, 2013
    Near Ft. Stewart
    Thanks! I was wondering about when that would be good timing. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by