Love this bird

pullus mater

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
NC
84716_dsc_9498.jpg

I would like to share a chicken story if anyone is interested. I have an EE named Pippi (that's her in the picture). She was a runt and was "failure to thrive" the day after bringing her home. The person I bought her from said she would most likely die within a day or two and I could come get a replacement. I gave her sugar water, attention, oats, and prayer and she survived, but was always a little more skittish and much smaller than everyone else. I figured she probably wouldn't lay well, but I still liked her. Let me tell you- this girl is a machine. She has been putting out 6-7 pretty pink eggs a week since she started laying a few months ago. No one else in the flock can even keep up with her. I guess whatever "chicken nursing" I did worked out well! Now if only my other EE would start laying again. She did really well for 2 months, had a few paper eggs, then had a HUGE egg within an egg, and hasn't really laid since.....Here's her picture if you want to see it:

84716_dsc_9523.jpg

Pippi is beautiful. She must be paying you back for all the love you gave her when she needed it the most! You are one loving chicken momma!

Thanks everyone. I love the way Pippi looks too- kind of like a wild bird or something. She is a sweetie and I'm glad she hung in there for me!

Back
Top Bottom