1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Love this Site!! Newbie here :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CC Fluffy, Feb 3, 2017.

1. CC Fluffy

CC Fluffy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Mojave, California USA
    Just Joined this site, but have always looked up info for our flock from the beginning (advice from this site has been lifesaving so many times!). And will always have so much to learn, and will try to input any measures of flock care that has worked for us. :)

We have about 28 in our mixed flock from Bielfelders to Serama/Silkie Bantam mixes (we're newbies only doing this for 2 years now). So far they do well in our High Desert climate. Hot summers and bitter (frosty) winters and high winds for half the year. It tunnels through the mountains directly towards us.

One of the many questions to come that I have is if anyone knows what other breeds can do well in this kind of climate??

The breeds we currently have are Bielfelders, Silkie/Serama Bantams, Olive Eggers, Marans, Americaunas, EEs, RBL Wyandottes, Australorps, Salmon Faverolles (do better in winters here).

Had buff ORPs but none of them did well in this climate unfortunately.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under CC Fluffy [​IMG] Welcome!

Living in Aus, we constantly battle with the heat and some frosty winters would be most welcome [​IMG]

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, CC Fluffy, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community!! You might also want to check out the Breeds page to compare the various attributes of the various breeds. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Skinner75

Skinner75 Just Hatched

Feb 3, 2017
    Tennessee
    Hello from Tennessee . Just joined this site . Not sure how to post on new introductions so I just jumped in

1 person likes this.
  6. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  7. Skinner75

Skinner75 Just Hatched

Feb 3, 2017
    Tennessee
    How can I change my profile picture?

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG] @CC Fluffy thanks for joining us! Another breed that comes to mind is Icelandics, though they may be hard to locate. Use the search box in the upper left corner to find posts about them. Also,Chantaclers originated in Canada (I believe) and are winter hardy and Buckeyes are supposed to be good too.

Good luck to you and thanks for joining us!

2 people like this.
  10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Here's a link to FAQ that might help you navigate BYC: post #1

It's nice to have you here!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by