Love thy neighbor...YEAH, RIGHT!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kasia, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    Yesterday we had unnecessary drama unfolding here, and all because of one IDIOT neighbor! [​IMG]

It was a gorgeous day here in New Orleans, I took some of my Muscovy ducks outside into the duck pen, filled up their pool and watched them play. I also took my wood ducks and put them in our other duck pen that was holding 10 mallards that we rehabilitated for release. The mallards didn't want the wood ducks there and went after them, so when Will came home, I told him that the mallards looked like they were ready to go. So we opened the gate and shooed them all out. They went out of our backyard and we herded them towards the canal behind our yard where the wild mallards and muscovies live.

A neighbor was running with his dog off the leash and one of the mallards got scared and ducked into a hole under the fence of our next door neighbors house. That neighbor has a lot of trash in her yard and we knew the poor duck couldn't find her way back out, and since she still can't fly, she couldn't fly over the fence.

So Will goes and knocks on her door and points to her yard and tells her one of our ducks got into her yard through a hole in HER fence and could he go back there and get the duck please. She said she doesn't speak English, and told him GO GO GET OUT! NO DUCK HERE! But yet she SAW the duck through the fence. So we figured maybe she misunderstood, so I told Will to go to talk to the neighbor across the street and since he spoke Spanish, to explain to her that the duck is stuck there and we just want to get her back. So that neighbor goes and talks to her and comes back and tells us that she said we are her enemies and she hates us and is mad at us and we are NOT stepping foot into her yard. Meanwhile the duck is quacking and scared.

Finally I told Will to just call the police because I wasn't leaving the duck there and we told them we needed a Spanish speaking officer. So the cop comes out, tells us that if she doesn't let him into her yard, he won't be able to do anything about it. He banged on her door yelling POLICEI! Finally she answered and she let him go in the yard with her. Of course the duck hid, so he comes back out and says there was no duck in her yard. He said if we go in there, she can have us arrested. [​IMG]

So I went upstairs and out the window onto our porch roof and sat there looking at her yard and sure enough, there was the duck! We tried water, food, EVERYTHING for two hours. Finally I told Will to go behind our shed and cut a hole in the fence that joined her yard to ours. That part was behind a lot of trash in her yard so that she couldn't see him. He cut the hole but the duck, being raised for release, wasn't human friendly and wasn't coming to the big hole. Will said he was just going to go through the hole and snatch the duck and be back out, so I told him I'll go on the roof and watch, but then I saw HER watching from HER second story window, holding her cell phone and LAUGHING. I yelled at Will not to go in because she was waiting to take his picture with her cell phone. So at that point we didn't know what to do. We called our friend at the humane society but he said he couldn't do anything till morning. [​IMG]

We decided to wait till about 2 in the morning when it was completely dark and she was asleep and then we would both sneak into her yard and get the duck. But then she let her CAT out into her yard, and back in the window LAUGHING. That cat has killed or maimed SEVERAL ducklings that live on the canal and come into our yard for daily feedings. The cat was stalking the duck and I sat there on my roof WATCHING this unfold and I could do NOTHING about it!!! But then the duck ran to the front of her yard, where there was a chain link gate only 3 feet tall instead of the 7 foot tall wooden fence that separate our yards. I yelled at Will to grab the net and run to the front because her cat had the poor duck cornered and she was panicking. So Will ran and with the net scooped her up and got her out of there just as the cat pounced!

This turned into a 5 hour ordeal, something that would have lasted 90 seconds at the most, turned into a 5 hour ordeal! All because our neighbor decided to be a pill about it.

And why does she view us as her enemies? Because two years ago, after watching her day after day after day of carrying her stupid little dog and placing it on OUR front lawn to poop, we finally told her NICELY not to let her dog poop on our lawn. She of course ignored us. So one day while her dog was pooping on my lawn yet again, I let MY dog out to chase her dog off and she ran into her house, grabbed a broom and started beating FEMA! I should have called the cops right there and then, but didn't.

I was a good neighbor to her. Right after hurricane Katrina when all of our neighbors were gutting their homes, I cooked a huge pot of crawfish etouffe in our RV and knocked on doors and handed out 50 bowls to my neighbors, HER included. When he mail comes to our mailbox, I go and return it to her. Her son smokes pot in her yard and throws his joints over the fence into MY yard and my chickens have picked up SEVERAL of them, and still I said nothing.

But for her to not allow us to get our duck out of her yard and then laughing about it and letting her cat our to attack our duck, IT'S ON! [​IMG] We set up a trap to trap her can next time it comes into my yard, and she better hope and pray her dog never steps foot on MY front lawn again!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You know what they say....."Love thy neighbor" REALLY? REALLY?????? [​IMG]

I feel your pain.......

3. LuvMyPeeps7

LuvMyPeeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Lexington
    [​IMG] Have not had neighbor trouble with our chickens yet......Knock on wood. But I feel ya. There is no such thing as love thy neighbor anymore.

4. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Sorry you have to deal with ignorant neighbors....

I've learned ( I live in the middle of nowhere) your animal kills mine I just may kill it ( sorry animal lovers I love them too but not enough to hurt my animals) and if I had your problem I would have already called the cops.

But I don't blame you! It's war!

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Wow...sounds to me like she may have some mental issues!

6. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    Ooo! I hope to hear you are able to get back at the witch. I can't stand when people are jerks just to be jerks. Glad you got your duck back!

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Bummer. Sounds to me like the language barrier is a big one, add in cultural differences and you have a big kettle of fish. Hope ya'll can all work it out soon.

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

That's why I'm glad my neighbors live "way on the other side" of the corn field. [​IMG]

Steve

9. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    Oh, she DOES speak English, she just LIED and said she didn't. When I brought her food to her right after the hurricane she had no problem telling me her stove isn't working and she had no fridge, etc.

I'm thinking of buying about 50 Madagascar hissing cockroaches and putting them in her mailbox. [​IMG]

10. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I'm pretty much one of those people that just try to get along, most of the time. I can't stand it when people hurt, or try to hurt animals on purpose without cause - like letting the cat out to attack your duck.

First, I would beef up the perimeter security; if her fence is in disrepair, make sure that you secure those areas from your side so that your animals can't get in her yard...easily.

I guess I shouldn't recommend this, but in an emergency situation (like your animal about to be killed) I would run right in her yard, through the gate or over the fence - whatever was the fastest and rescue my animal. If she were to report you for tresspassing or something else, I'd deal with that IF it came about. Eventhough you don't normally have the right to go in her yard, I'll bet a judge would see your point. If it were your human child in mortal danger would you just stand there and wait for permission? I'd go get my little loved one and deal with the consequences later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by