Loved up or captive? Hens night time arrangements

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MuscovyMad, Apr 8, 2012.

1. MuscovyMad

MuscovyMad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Due to recent events i am building a run for my OEGB roo and i'm going to put a couple of pekin hens in to keep him happy.

However he has previously been running with 6 other cross breed hens who free range around a farm all day then return to the barn at night to sleep in their house.

If i move the roo into this new run are his old hens likely to try and join him, distraught at the thought of him spending time with other hens or will they move on and go about their lives as single ladies unaffected by the loss of their lover and return to the house they have lived in for over a year at night.

I figure if they have an attraction to the roo then they will want to be with him and will attempt to move in too. However if they have only been staying with him as he demands their attention then i figure they will be free to go about living their normal life without him.

ps i don't want to add his old hens to the new run as although their life will be loveless they will have an entire farm to run about in and thus a better quality of life.

And the roo can no longer free range the farm as he is a bit of a people abuser.

So basically will the hens follow their lover to his new abode or will they go solo?

Also if the hens can enter the run at their own free will are they likely to enter for a "booty call"? Seems as their entire life is based around making as many babies as possible. Or can i assume that any eggs laid will be infertile?

ps he's crap at flying so he can't leave the run but the hens will be able to enter if they choose to.

2. MuscovyMad

MuscovyMad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I've decided not to bother getting pekins anymore. I'm just going to move the whole flock into the run so they don't have to seperate from the roo.

Then i'm going to buy in some other regular sized hens to roam about the farm.

I experimented with seperating the roo from the hens. The hens simply stood beside the fence with him on the otherside. So looks like they do want to be with him after all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by