1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Loveland, CO

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Photog, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Photog

Photog New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Hello everyone,

We live in Loveland, CO and are planning getting some backyard chickens, hopefully very soon.

I've been doing some research on breeds and such but MAN there's a lot of choices. Feeling a bit overwhelmed!

So I'm requesting some guidance from people who know more that we do about this and hope to be steered in the right direction.

It's almost April so is it too late to get chicks? (We want eggs).

Should we start with adults? Sub adults?

What breeds can be found around here locally? Or will we need to order them? (looking for hardy and friendly chickens).

Is there a "best" chicken for this region?

Thanks very much in advance!

Marcus

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Hi, welcome to the forum. There is a Colorado thread here to connect with locals: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/68894/colorado

I is definitely NOT too late to get chicks. They can be ordered from hatcheries year round. I personally like starting with chicks because then you can socialize them, and you only have to wait 20- 25 weeks for them to mature to laying age. You can order sexed chicks from many hatcheries, so there is at least a 90% certainty that they are female. All the sexed female chicks I have gotten did indeed end up being hens. Don't let them put extra chickens in the order unless you want roosters. So called "packing peanut chicks" are almost always male.

I liked getting a flock of a variety of breeds. You may have already checked out the breed section of the site: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

I have friendly hardy egg layers like Barred Rocks, Orpingtons, Australorp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by