Songster
5 Years
Mar 24, 2018
Atascadero, CA
1F646409-080F-4CB5-9EBE-B9EB6570CA43.jpeg
A20F2680-4AA4-4F46-ABD4-593CA6631D5B.jpeg
78B5A8BC-BA7F-45B7-A41A-C23A2B9EF581.jpeg
296ACF61-5E79-4100-B47A-EA4E32B7CD05.jpeg
Oh, and the run is done! 6x8 covered run, we will be adding a 4x4 cantilevered coop with a 2x4 nesting box & additional 4x4 run underneath. Our flock is allowed to freerange during the day & we are in California, so they should be able to do that year round. Yay! No more hauling them in & out of the garage morning & night!

How do yo mean?
A friend on mine has several turkeys in with her chickens and they don’t have any issues :)
I raised some once with some chicks. They turned out to be toms and killed a young rooster at around sexually maturity, they didn't hang around long enough to see if they would do anymore damage.

I find my turkeys to be bullies to my chickens. They are kept separately. Turkey are emotional birds who will carry on for days when they start having a dispute with another bird. They are strong birds too. Some have no problems, some do.

I raised some once with some chicks. They turned out to be toms and killed a young rooster at around sexually maturity, they didn't hang around long enough to see if they would do anymore damage.

I find my turkeys to be bullies to my chickens. They are kept separately. Turkey are emotional birds who will carry on for days when they start having a dispute with another bird. They are strong birds too. Some have no problems, some do.
Good to know!
My friend only keeps the hens, she calls the jakes. We are planning to do the same. So far OverWatch has been a great asset to the flock. She (hopefully!) keeps everyone alert & sounds the alarm if she sees hawks.

BYCer years ago had a tom turkey that killed her chicken hen trying to breed it. He was her favorite pet, so he got pardoned but the chicken was still dead.

Chickens can also bring "black head disease," to turkeys. It would have been karma if the poor hen had given that to the turkey

Turkeys are nothing to mess with as far as combining them with other poultry. Raising them with them will cause the turkey to think it's a chicken, and it will participate in chicken things. The turkey is always stronger and bigger, and will always win. I learned that lesson the hard way, and my turkeys will always be separate because of it.

Back
Top Bottom