1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lovely rooster gone mean. Any advice or information?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mssmartypantsxx, Dec 3, 2013.

1. mssmartypantsxx

mssmartypantsxx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    New Zealand
    So my huuuuuuuuge barred rock started being mean about two days before i got hens. Then when i got them he was nice for a bit. But he tried to spurr me not long ago but only scraped my leg. But also, one of our hens are a different breed and he doesn't like her. He'll look at her with evil eyes, she'll freak out and run as far as she can but he'll catch her, but he wont breed he'll smash the back of her neck, claw her and rip at her feathers. I have to fight him off. She's a minorcha so she has a big comb and wattle. Could that be the problem? all the hens pick on her too so she's kinda iscolated at the moment. But i love all my chooks to bits and don't want to get rid of any of them. I was thinking about de-spurring my roo, filing his beak and clipping one of his wings so he's unbalanced and cant jump into the coop.

Do you guys have any advice? I like all of them.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i do but nothing you would want to hear. its dangerous to have roos like that. do you have children over ?

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Show a picture of rooster from distance where you can see whole bird and another showing spurs. He may be young and trying to prove his stuff against females that do not respect his authority. I let such a rooster flog away on me until we realizes he is wasting his time on something that is not a threat but that takes tolerance to discomfort and patience.

If you are scared of him or do not think he is worth the effort, then rehome or eat him.

4. mssmartypantsxx

Nov 6, 2013
    New Zealand
    No visiters really. He's a good guard roo, and he's family. I'll go get a photo soon.

ps. Can't get proper photo. Too windy

5. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    X2
    Also clipping his wing so he's unable to get into the coop will only stress him out if he's unable to roost with his hens.

6. mssmartypantsxx

Nov 6, 2013
    New Zealand
    he stays by us, he see's my family as his. The hens are just like toys to him, he only wants them for a bit

7. piggirl19

piggirl19 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    IN PET LAND! :D
    have you tried disciplining him. i had a roo that was being naughty and i had to pin him down for a minute and yell at him to scare him into submission which made him very wary of me but i can now pick him up and pet him without any problems so maybe try that it only took a week for him to get the message.

8. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    far as the chicken you have that is a different breed. I had same problem most my chickens are rir and I had a hen of a different breed and the rir hens picked on her I waited it out and fed her separately but problem just got worse. so I just give her to a friend that had same breed as her.

9. mssmartypantsxx

Nov 6, 2013
    New Zealand
    i can't pin him, he's too big and freaky

10. piggirl19

piggirl19 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    IN PET LAND! :D
    well i would say if he tries to attack just chase him around making loud noises or i would try to cover him in a towel then pick him up or pin him that way just make sure he knows who is boss. or you can try bootin him across the yard if nothing else helps anyways

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by