Lovely, sweet, white and ??????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RedMelD, Jan 4, 2011.

1. RedMelD

RedMelD New Egg

Jan 4, 2011
    Hello everyone! I wondered if someone could please help me identify this chicken's breed and whether it is a female/male. This was an Easter chick in 2009. The comb and wattles just started showing in the last few months. Compared to the other chicks we had, this chicken grew super fast! It is very docile and great around the children. Besides which, we think it's gorgeous. Thank you for your help in identifying this chicken. We are completely new to chickens and have learned alot about caring for them this past year though not anything about identifying them! [​IMG] There have been no eggs at all so I'm thinking "she" might be a "he"?

Well, as a new user I can't seem to figure out how to post any pics or even urls pointing towards the pics. Soooo, the best I could figure out to see the pics would be to go to Photobucket and do a search for [email protected] You'll see three pics there. I'm sorry for the inconvenience but couldn't figure out how to get past the spam bots to post pics. Thank you soooooo very much for your help!

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I added a pic of your chicken for you, from your album.. I don't know the breed, don't have any like that.. See post below. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I am not familiar with photobucket, so I was still playing!! Go to your photo and click on share.. When that pops up, click on the "get link code" tab.. Then just scroll down and click on image for bulletin boards and forums.. Just copy or click on the full size image code, then come back and paste that code into your message... Hope this helps.. But here is your chicken!!
    [​IMG]

4. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    looks like a girl to me!
    Ms.FuzzyButts :

I am not familiar with photobucket, so I was still playing!! Go to your photo and click on share.. When that pops up, click on the "get link code" tab.. Then just scroll down and click on image for bulletin boards and forums.. Just copy or click on the full size image code, then come back and paste that code into your message... Hope this helps.. But here is your chicken!!
    http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g354/RedMelD/DSCF5605.jpg

5. RedMelD

RedMelD New Egg

Jan 4, 2011
    Thanks for posting the pic. I had uploaded via BYC and through Photobucket. However, BYC told me that since I was a new member, I couldn't have any url links. The photos I uploaded counted as URLs apparently also! Thank you so much for posting. Caring for the chickens has been part of our childrens 4H and I'm trying to get this one identified before they turn in their project record books tomorrow!

6. Ms.FuzzyButts

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    You are very welcome. I am unaware of it not letting you upload that.. But it should let you copy and paste the link into a message as I did. You don't have to upload anything here, doing it the way I described.

7. elysiann

elysiann New Egg

Jan 3, 2011
    I have a girl who is similar, with the exception that her earlobes are white. She is a white leghorn x Rhode island white.

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    [​IMG] from Missouri!

She's a White Plymouth Rock hen. [​IMG]

She'll start laying within a couple weeks!

Edited to add: I'm guessing White Plymouth Rock because they are known for being very large and fast growing and very docile. They are also a common Easter chick breed. She could be a Rhode Island White, but this is a much rarer breed, and also not near as large and less docile. White Plymouth Rocks are great brown egg layers! [​IMG]

9. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I agree with Cowgirl

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow! She looks like a big gal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by