Lovin' the PDZ in my coop :)

hannakat

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Beaver County, PA
Thanks to Thespoiledchicken's thread, "poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures", about how she designed the poop boards and are maintaining them with PDZ, I was able to start out my new coop with PDZ instead of some other substance on the floor. I was going to go with sand but once I saw her post, I decided to go with Sweet PDZ instead.

Like Thespoiledchicken, I use a kitty liter scoop to clean it once a day. Wonderful ~ wonderful ~ wonderful and I want to post a photo of it.

Even though I didn't have the poop boards, I figured it would work using it in my whole coop since it's only 5.5' x 4'. There is no smell and no buildup.

Here's my Cochin roo, Razberry, going through to check on a hen.....

Last edited:
I had sand on my poop boards, but after reading a post about Sweet PDZ a few weeks ago, I bought several bags and put it on top of the sand. It IS wonderful! Much, MUCH easier than just the sand to scoop up the poop. I only do it every two or three days, though. It takes maybe 5 minutes maximum - and I don't ever have to worry about friends or family dropping by and the coop smelling awful.

Awesome!
How deep did you go with it?

I keep it about 3/4" in the area under the roosts but near the door there's hardly any. I swish it around after sifting out the poo. A 40 lb bag costs $14 but it lasted quite a while....I first started using it about December 14th. I bought another bag to add some more to it about 3 weeks ago.

I had sand on my poop boards, but after reading a post about Sweet PDZ a few weeks ago, I bought several bags and put it on top of the sand. It IS wonderful! Much, MUCH easier than just the sand to scoop up the poop. I only do it every two or three days, though. It takes maybe 5 minutes maximum - and I don't ever have to worry about friends or family dropping by and the coop smelling awful.This is the part I love about it!!

If I had actual poop boards, I'd wouldn't clean it every day either since there's no smell ~ at all!! ~ and the poo just dries out. Having on the floor of the entire little coop, though, I need to take care of it. I keep a 5 gal bucket right under the coop with the kitty scoop in it and dump it in the compost whenever it gets too full. Since there isn't any of that awful chicken poop smell, it's okay to keep the bucket there!!

Last edited:
Glad I seen this thread, I'll be setting up a small coop also out of a little tykes playhouse and was thinking of just using sweet pdz as a bedding.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom