1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Loving being a chicken mama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by henrietta77, Apr 22, 2018.

1. henrietta77

henrietta77 In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2018
    Napa, CA
    I am fairly new to chickens. My ex husband and I have raised a few flocks over the years, but this year's crop are the best! I got the itch last November when we went to the feed store and saw all the day old chicks. I decided to buy three and bring them home as a present for my kids. Well, when my ex saw the three lonely chicks in their box with heat lamp, he quickly went back and got 14 more, logically, since it costs so much to keep the heat lamp going you might as well!

We raised them with so much hands on love and care that they are the happiest and easiest to handle chickens we have ever had. We have Sicilian Buttercups, Wyandotte, Americaunas, and one or two other breeds. They laid their first egg (picture below of tiny egg) on Easter. Now we are getting about 8 eggs a day. (Oh, we ended up with 2 roosters.)

Came here today because one laid a very gelatinous, soft egg yesterday and I was worried. Looks like that may be fairly normal for chickens who are just getting started, right? They are on laying mash.

Oh shoot. I can't seem to post pics. I will try later.

I also have 2 dogs, a cat, and 5 goats.

2. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Free Ranging

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! There’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. I wouldn’t be concerned about the shell-less egg. It’s very common with POL pullets. It’s only a concern if if an adult starts repeatedly laying them :thumbsup

3. rkapfen

rkapfen Chirping

Feb 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Welcome! Looks like the chicken math got you too :) as far as the gelatinous egg it could be normal but it may be because they need for calcium. Are you giving oyster shell or any extra calcium boost?

4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Enlightened Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

007Sean, Teila and henrietta77 like this.
  5. henrietta77

Apr 22, 2018
    Napa, CA
    OK thanks! That's good to know!

6. henrietta77

Apr 22, 2018
    Napa, CA
    I'm at work, wishing I was home playing with my chickens and my goaties!

7. henrietta77

Apr 22, 2018
    Napa, CA
    Ha ha! Yes, chicken math! Yes, their feed contains oyster shell. Should I give them calcium or anything in their water? I saw recently in my goat forum that some people put apple cider vinegar in their goats water. Thoughts? Other than - it would taste awful!

8. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Leave early.
    Maybe no one will notice?
    :fl

9. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    What kind/brand of feed do you feed? Can you post a picture of the ingredient label on the feed bag?
    Are you mixing oyster shell into their feed?
    Is that what you mean by their feed has oyster shell in it?

007Sean, Teila and Joeschooks like this.
  10. rkapfen

rkapfen Chirping

Feb 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    If you’re offering oyster shell I’m sure they’re fine:) a worker at a feed store once told me he gives his chickens a handful of shredded cheese and sometimes he gets 2 eggs a day per chicken because of it! Might be a good calcium boost/treat for them. As far as the apple cider vinegar I give my chickens some in their water every day. I do two capfuls in a gallon jug. I’ve read the potassium and light acidity in it is really good for animals :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: