Loving my chickens. Temp help?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by classychick303, May 6, 2017.

1. classychick303

classychick303 New Egg

May 6, 2017
    I have one and two week old chicks and I am having a hard time keeping their temp constant. I did the 95 then down 5 degrees but they keep open mouth breathing, which I read means they are over heating. I keep adjusting it so they don't open mouth breathe, but I curious if there is a temp that is too cold. Some of them are liking it around 75. At two weeks old. Any suggestions?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Whilst a temp reading is a good guide, whats more important, IMO is the behaviour of the chicks. You are already observing their behaviour, which is great. Just try reducing the temperature and observing - if they chirp and huddle together, they are too cool.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under classychick303 [​IMG] Welcome!

As Ken has already answered your question and I only have experience raising chicks with a broody hen, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you have an area of the brooder where the Heat Lamp isn't raising the temps? If the chicks are too hot, they will move to a part of the brooder that suits their needs. Maybe you are using too large a bulb., or the room they are in is already a good temp.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by