1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Loving my "Ladies"!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by trirealtoramy, Mar 21, 2016.

1. trirealtoramy

trirealtoramy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello everyone! Im new to this world of "all things chickens" and am loving it! I am currently in a rental program with coop and chickens. Now that we have tried it out we want to keep our lovely ladies. Im a little chicken obsessed. I need to find a new coop for them and have no idea where to start. My rental is up end of the month. We live on 2 acres and back up to woods so predators are an issue. When people have "dirt floors" are the burying hardware cloth?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. As for chicken pens and protection: hardware cloth pens and tops, a skirt around the outside, electric fencing around the pens for a near fool proof predator protection.

1 person likes this.
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us and congrats on your decision to get your own flock.

IMO it would be difficult to "rent" and have to return those sweeties after you get to know them.

Do explore the coops section. First decide how many you want or can manage, pick breeds that can be happy in confinement and build "Fort Knox". The All-in One type of coop/run offers comfort and protection, just make sure to think more room than you think so you won't need to add on. I built one like the Wichita Cabin Coop - love the design, but enlarged the run area when my gals were grown.

Explore the forums, feel free to post questions. You will find folks here happy to help.

4. trirealtoramy

trirealtoramy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Virginia
    Haha. You are so correct. It is hard to rent then return these feathered loves. I did it more so my guy would fall in love with them and get on board [​IMG]
    We have decided 3 is enough. Kids are in college now so with just us (and 2 dogs) we are happy with our supply of eggs. I shall explore the coop section now. Thanks for the advice [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may also want to check out the predator threads for advice - Welcome to Backyard chickens.

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here!

8. lclark

lclark 20 acres bliss

Mar 22, 2016
    Great Lakes State
    Hi! Just joined byc and am loving it! My husband and I have 20 acres in Michigan and are proud parents of 6 BO pullets (maybe lol...1 could be a roo) and 2 BR pullets. Can't wait to share stories and pictures!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by