Loving My New Chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JennD123, Jul 13, 2019.

1. JennD123

JennD123 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2019
    Hi, my name is Jean and I'm not totally new to chickens...but haven't had any since my childhood. I grew up on a small ranch. We had horses, cows, pigs, sheep and chickens. I did 4-H and showed horses.

I am finally in a place in my life where I can enjoy a few of my favorite animals. I currently have 29 chickens, but need to thin my flock desperately as the babies are growing fast, and a few roasters are attempting to crow!!

My goal is to get to 18-20...but i'm very attached to all of them.

I have...

2 Frizzles (hens): Arya & Sansa
    1 Salmon Faverolle hen: Clara Belle (handicapped w/ born w/ lame leg), but the leader of her flock!
    3 American Hens: Violet, Abigail and Joanie
    1 Speckled Sussex hen: Callie
    2 Buff Orpington (hen, rooster): Ginger & Big Red
    1 Brahma hen: Willow
    2 Blue Andalusian Hens: Sophie & Sabrina
    3 Olive Eggers: Esther, Olivia and Missy
    2 Polish Hens: Lucy & Ethel
    1 Plymouth Rock Hen: Pepper
    1 Red-Blue Wyandotte Hen: Lacey
    1 Seabright Hen: Clementine
    9 Silkies (4 Red & 5 White): my youngest group of Straight run...can't tell yet who is for sure then hens, but a couple of them are starting to attempt to crow! (ages 4-6 mo.)
    Not all are named...as I don't know the sex yet!

I need to thin out my flock and find some homes for my silkies. I want to only keep 2-3 of the Silkies. Please message me if you are interested

My user name is JennD123

My chicks are very friendly and spoiled. I work from home, so they are given a lot of attention. On hot days they have a water mister, fan and get fresh fruit and veggie Chicky Ice Popcycles each day!! I let them free range during the day and keep them in a coop/run at night.

I love raising chicks, not just for their eggs...but I find them to be very smart and they make wonderful pets. I love to observe the social aspects of the flock and how each one plays a role.

For example, one of my little frizzles Arya won't go into coop until my crippled hen Clara Belle get's in. She stays with her and walks beside her up the ramp to the coop and cuddles her every night.

Also, Pepper and Ginger are definitely the watch dogs of the flock! I find it fascinating to watch my little chicken society!!

I am a nurse by day and a crafter by night! I make homemade Soaps, Candles and love to make Cards, Scrapbooks and Booklets.

I have 4 grown children and 8 grand children that keep me very busy as well!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi & :welcome Jean!

You have some lovely breeds there and what a great introduction to read through from yourself.

Enjoy your time here with us on BYC :frow

3. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

Good for you! That's jumping in with both feet. And I love the names you came up with!

Welcome and get ready for some great fun and great breakfasts!

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Love your introduction. Some chickens are truly special and do become care-givers to less mobile birds of the flock. Owners have often reported sighted birds guiding their blind flock friend around to food and water . They also protect from the bullies . No one teaches them to do that.

There have also been examples of roosters flogging their owners, and hens attacking the roos en masse. As well as "protective" flock members who roost with the birds being bullied to put a stop to it.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Jean, welcome to BYC, and good luck with your flock expansion.

7. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I would love to see some pictures of your flock.

8. Sequel

Sequel Crowing

:frow Hi Jean! Welcome! What a wonderful intro! We're just tickled to have you join! I too love to watch the social interactions between my chickens! They have way more going on than I realized and I'm having a grand time with mine!

9. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Jean, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Good luck with your downsizing. It's tough to pick the ones that will go.

10. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: