Loving My Rooster

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kwehme09, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Kwehme09

Kwehme09 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    No Question here, just sharing my rooster experience to date:

I've read lots of debate on here regarding a Rooster vs. No Rooster. I'm not discounting the validity of anyones negative-rooster experiences, but I couldn't be happier with mine. Despite his lack of egg-laying prowess, he is debatably my favorite of my 12 birds.

He's a 24-week old Barred Rock who I've handled a great deal since he was a baby chick. As he has matured I've played the alpha-male role, chasing him off hens when he tries to mate in my presence. I also chase him down and handle him almost daily. When he was young a swatted him away a few times while hand feeding treats.. and he learned quickly to wait his turn. He has showed ZERO aggression towards me to date. I hardly ever notice him trying to mate the hens anymore and no hens have showed any missing feathers or bald spots. I

He started crowing between 16-18 weeks. Right around when he started trying to mate.He crows everyday starting between 5 am and 6 am. and will crow intermittently throughout the day. No neighbors have complained. My coop is only about 20 feet from my bedroom window. If the coop windows are closed, it isn't too loud, and if I close my bedroom window when he starts crowing, I can continue to sleep no problem.

He protects the flock well too. One evening around dusk the hens were free ranging in the yard near the coop. Roosty (as I call him) began to honk similar to how a goose does. He was frantic. I noticed the hens grouping together and moving quickly underneath the coop. I didn't know what was going on. Roosty paced in the open, flapping his wings and hooking.

I live in a wooded lot, and eventually, after a few minutes, noticed a large bird... a barred owl I think... perched in a tree about 20 feet beyond the tree line of the yard. It was a very difficult predator for me to notice, and I was thoroughly impressed that Roosty was able to raise the alarm SO early. I got a few treats and lured the flock into its covered run and the owl eventually left. Perfect job by Roosty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Very nice story, and a great looking boy!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by