low 60's for fully feathered juveniles OK for 1 night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FLchook, Oct 24, 2011.

1. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I have 5 juvenile chicks, they are about 2mo old and fully feathered. For their protection I had to remove them from their cage to the coop. A racoon (assuming) Managed to snatch a baby last night from 1x2 in wire holes. After it climbed an 8ft fence with wire on top.

Anyway, I moved them in the coop with the adults. Its beyond secure, but I worry about the temp. Its going to drop to low 60's degrees, no drafts. I have a heat lamp I could use, but I worry they would be up all night an possibly get into trouble with the adults. Ill be up as the sun is coming up to remove them before the adults become active.

Think 60's will be ok?
    Thanks,
    Shannon

2. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    If your juvi's are fully feathered than they should be 100% fine out in the 60s tonight!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

No problem with the 60s. I'd worry more about the adults.

Imp

4. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks everyone. I figured they probably would be, but I worry over my babies. I do worry a bit about the adults, but they have been around them a lot, and I will be taking the babies out early early in the morning. Before it starts getting light. Its pitch black out there. Definitely safer in there, vs the coons. It'll be back tonight for sure.

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Wow I wish we were down to the 60's Great chicken weather LoL!! [​IMG]

6. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    They will be fine in the 60s. My 8 weekers did great at 31 & 32 degrees over the weekend with no heat. My chicks have been outside since they were 3 1/2 weeks old.

7. Homestead Family

Homestead Family Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Pleasant Hill, MO
    As soon as they fully feather out, they can handle that kind of weather (or colder) no problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by