Low Cost Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by havi, Apr 14, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I saw somewhere on here someone posted about a lady who built her chicken coop from wooden pallets. I've tried searching for it, but came up with nothing..can someone help? I'm thinking about trying this as well. I have a "in process" chicken coop that will be around 2.5 x 5 x 4.5. I know not very big, but it is what we had on hand right now. Thanks!
  2. youthpastor

youthpastor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    The coop you're talking about is in the "coop designs" part of the site; under "large coops." I just built a coop using scraps, including pallets. You could try other sources of scraps as well. Construction sites throw away an incredible amount of wood, and much of it very usable for a coop. Just ask the site foreman first. I also tore apart an old tent trailer, and bought some lumber from a Habitat for Humanity recycling store. As for the pallets, I found one challenge to be taking them apart without breaking the wood to pieces. You can do it. You just have to figure it out. Maybe I'll post a picture of my coop on here some time.
  3. hdchic

hdchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    I used scrap wood also....just so happened my in-laws had a hog barn built and they were throwing out tons of useable wood. Plus I had some on hand from previous projects (deck, fence, etc). The only thing I spent money on was wire mesh for over the top. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by