1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Low Cost Incubator for a small flock?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flairey, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Flairey

Flairey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    Texas
    I'm looking for a very low cost incubator that is relatively small? Any suggestions?​

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    If you go to one of the chicken sites like Strombergs, Mypetchicken etc. they sell a variety of incubators. The cheapest are the hoverbator still air types I believe. For ease of use and reliability Brinsea have a fabulous range - from 7 eggs to 70+!
    I just bought a Brinsea Eco 20 - cost around $300 but I will be hatching small amounts of rare breeds, so worth the $$.
    Hope this helps a bit,

3. Flairey

Mar 20, 2016
    Texas
    The brinsea┬┤s Ive seen are quite expensive. I wont be hatching rare breeds, just your normal, feed store babies. :)

4. Luanne Hott

Luanne Hott Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Blairsville, GA
    I have a Brinsea Mini Advance. While it only holds 7 eggs, it is totally automated and well worth the money (in my opinion). :)

5. Flairey

Mar 20, 2016
    Texas
    Is a DIY incubator a thing? I've seen people make them, but do they work? I'm a DIY kind of person, add a personal touch without all the money spent. :)

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you're fairly handy, go to you tube and search for Rush Lane. He has excellent tutorials for wiring your own incubator from an old cooler chest. We used his instructions for wiring our home made cabinet incubator. Very clear and easy to follow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by