Low Egg Production-Thoughts?

brshooter

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 20, 2012
Aloha, OR
Our little flock has seriously dropped off on egg production. We have 5 hens. 2 year old R.I. Red, 2 year old Buff Orpington, 1-1/2 year old Americauna, 1 year old Ancona, 1 year old Ideal 236. Currently, the Americauna and Ideal 236 are giving us about 5 eggs per week each. We have not had an egg from our 1 year old Ancona in almost two months after laying 3-4 a week until January. Our 2 year old R. I. Red went from 4-5 eggs a week to laying thin shelled eggs which often broke. Then we found her eating them. Now she is not laying any. Our 2 year old Buff Orpington went from 4-5 per week to zero gradually. I don't see any of them in a obvious molt and none are broody. We free range them the entire back yard from October to February. Then in March, when it is time to start preparing the garden, we restrict them to a 20x65 run. I have looked and I don't see any sign of them laying outside of the coop and no sign of eating eggs.
Diet is commercial pellet 16% layer feed. They get lots of grit and oyster shell. Lots of cottage cheese and yogurt, bananas, and green produce.

We did have them on 12 on/12 off with a full spectrum LED thru January. When we saw the thin shell eggs from our RI Red, we cut the light thinking let her get back on a natural cycle.

Would cutting the light and restricting them to a 20x65 foot run contribute to this? Or is it time to maybe cull a few and replace?

Any thoughts or comments welcome.

Thank you.

I'm leaning toward age.
I personally like to add a few young ones every year to the old ones so I get enough eggs for my costumers. When I started with chickens I got 6 1 year olds Then I added 5 4 months the next spring. then the next winter I put in 2 8 month olds (you get the idea) I don't mind keeping the older ones they teach the younger ones.

Thank you for you reply Basil G. Two of the three not laying are our oldest birds. They are two, going on three. My wife and had talked and were considering picking up another 3-4 pullets this spring, but wanted to check the board to make sure first. I'm a bit puzzled by our little ancona. She is barely a year old. She started off laying fairly regularly last fall. They were smaller white eggs. We have not had an egg from her in almost two months I bet. She seems healthy and active.

yes I have some getting little age that im thinking of replacing so I keep my egg production up.

I had gotten a buff brahma from some guy who was selling his chickens because they were "too old to lay" (I think they were 10 or 11 months) I never got an egg from her, but we loved her.

We love all our girls, but I think we are going to pick up 3 more pullets. The girls are like therapy chickens for my wife who is disabled and severely visually impaired after suffering a stroke during surgery five years ago. She is limited in what she can do so the girls are a big part of her life. They bring he so much joy year round. We always have to make sure that they are different enough in color so she can tell them apart.
So this weekend will be preparing an area to house 3 new girls until they can be introduced to the flock.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Wishing all a blessed Holy Week.

Sounds to me they all should still be young enough to be laying 50-60%, and a couple of them are. As I understanding it laying production declines gradually, not all of a sudden, except perhaps in some hybrid. Yet you seem to describe fairly sudden drop-offs in otherwise decent production. Do they look to be of good weight and health, active, etc.?

I know many people use lights but I have to wonder if your hens' hormone systems are just way out of sync -- maybe their bodies don't know when to molt, when it's spring, etc. Have they been forced to lay two winters in a row? Maybe Mother Nature wants them to take a break. Also, my chickens are very upset at the tiniest little change, and you moved them from free ranging to confinement. That's a BIG change. I don't claim to know much, but if they were mine I would return them to a natural cycle and not disrupt them by introducing new hens just yet. On the other hand, starting some new ones periodically is necessary.

Good luck! Hope they start back up for you.

Back
Top Bottom