1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Low Egg Production With Supplemental Light

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JacobMaxwell, Feb 2, 2013.

1. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Lately I've only been getting four or five eggs from my six fifteen month old red sex link laying hens. They have an infra-red 175W heat lamp that turns on at 6:30 and turns off a 9:30. This gives them sixteen hours of daylight. None are showing any signs of egg binding, and all are active. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Is that 4-5 per day? If so that is not bad for 6 birds this time of year with or without extra light.

3. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Thanks for the help. I was feeling a little worried mostly because in the summer I had always been getting six eggs a day except for once every couple of weeks when I'd get five. I guess a lamp isn't as effective as full daylight for the right amount of time

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  4. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Yeah and temps play into it too. We can manipulate them to laying, but by nature their bodies tell them its too cold, not enough light and not a good time to raise babies in the wild.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by