Low girl on the totem pole

Crazy Legs

Hatching
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Michigan
I have 5, 20 month old hens that just entered their first molt. Ruby, our EE'er, which has always been our most mature bird (first to lay, large bird, first to molt), has always been the low girl on the pole. She has always held her own till recently. All the other girls(2 RIRs, 1BR, and one other EE'er) have recently begun their molt as well. Lately Ruby is bullied pretty good. Not getting to the feeder or water as she should, and just yesterday i noticed they have pecked a quarter sized wound in her back. I separated her for the afternoon, and got her plenty of food and water, and put some peroxide on her wound. Keeping her separate is not an option. Anyone had a similar experience? Any advise?

Thanks in advance...

P.S. This site is full of great information.

Get some Blukote at your local agriculture store to cover the wound with. It is bright purple and doesn't come off, so try not to get it on yourself, but it will cover the wound so the other birds don't see it. If that doesn't stop the picking then it may be time for Hot Pick/No Pick which can be purchased at the same place as the Blukote. I'd change their food over to a higher protein grower formula to aid in feather re-growth. Add some BOSS, cat food (limited quantities), plain yogurt and scrambled eggs to their diet as well to speed the process along.

Molting is miserable for birds. I view it like teething in babies- uncomfortable and makes them cranky, but necessary. Hopefully they will get through it quickly and with a minimal amount of muss and fuss.

Good luck.

Quote:
Except that moulting is ALL OVER THEIR BODIES. Poor things! Feeling itchy and like a pin-cushion, can't find a comfortable position, and all the energy it saps for that feather regrowth. I really feel sorry for 'em (more than just for how embarrassed they look at not being all pretty)!

I appreciate the input! Just picked up some Blu-Kote for the wound (or as my daughter has decided to call it "Chicken fixen juice")...she's four.

Along with the blu-kote and switching to a higher protien feed I'd also put a second feed/water station out so that it's not as easy for the bullies to keep her from getting what she needs. If you're tight on space you can use a chick feeder and waterer since you're not trying to use it to feed the flock, just supplying an alternate.

Back
Top Bottom