Low girl on the totem pole...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueberrychickens, Oct 19, 2011.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    So every day I give the girls a plate of treats, usually left overs from the day before, sometimes I just give them some moistened pellets w/ boss & scratch mixed in. So my question is how do you make sure the lowest in the pecking order gets a chance to have a snack? I've tried to put out 2 plates but the highest ranked girls just run btwn the plates chasing away the lowest girl. The lowest girl makes the saddest sounds & you can tell she wants to get in there & have a bit of something yummy. She isn't low in weight so I know she is at least getting her share of regular pellets.
    Any suggestions???
  2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    You can try to hand feed her some treats or isolate her. My BO was at the bottom of the pecking order. Still is but now that I'm down to two, it's not that big of a deal. But I still distract her sister and hand feed the BO treats. She'll learn quickly to stay at your side when you come to visit to get treats.

You can also try putting the two treat bowls further apart. Makes it harder for the bossy ones to run back and forth.
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What my kids have done is grab some dried mealworms in hand, grab their favorite chicken in hand, and go to a corner of the yard. Then they put the treat down and the chicken down. By the time the other chickens figure out what is happening, most of the mealworms have been eaten by their favorite hen.

This only works for awhile, and then they have a chicken flood behind them wherever they venture in the yard. So it is a temporary solution, at best. [​IMG]
  4. PTFowl

PTFowl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    I don't have a solution but I too feel badly for my low girl on the totem poll. I've tried some different ways to get her some of the treats but haven't found anything that reliably works yet.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Scatter treats throughout the yard/pen. You can't 'beat' the pecking order. It's an integral part of chicken society. Just chickens being chickens. [​IMG]
  6. chezpoulet

chezpoulet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Redmond WA
    I put all the other girls in the portable tractor, and our low girl gets to hang out free for a while, with the treats in front of her. I wait till she eats her fill before letting the rest of the flock out .
  7. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Tennessee Plateau
    Quote:Easily solved... at least for me it was. Mine did the same thing when I would bring them their daily salad in a serilite container. Then I started scattering around on the ground and it was better but the little ones still got ran off a bit. Then I built them a trough. There is literally about two seconds of scurrying around till they settle down in line and all can enjoy in peace. Worked for mine, hope this helps.
  8. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    What cute little fuzzy butts.

I scatter widely and wait till most are distracted, then quietly put some right in front of the picked on chicken. In my case, it's my cockerel. Poor guy. [​IMG]
  9. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Quote:Is he hen pecked? [​IMG]
  10. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    How'd you guess? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by