Low Hatch Rate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pebbles13, Feb 19, 2014.

1. pebbles13

pebbles13 New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    We have recently bought a genesis 1588 incubator and have hatched a few batches now, but our hatch rate seems to be decreasing, not improving.

We have done a lot of research, and think we have most things right, in regards to temperature, humidity, storage of eggs, etc.

We are getting our eggs from a local, who hatches on a mass level. His setup is quite manual (ie. turns by hand and temperature control is a bit dodgy!). Yet his hatch rate is quite high.

In any one batch, our problems range from: hatching early; not hatching (but when we break open a few days later, dead birds or under developed birds); and difficulty hatching (eggs pip, but bird struggles to hatch).

Any suggestions or tips greatfully received!

Thanks
    Pebbles13

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. pebbles13

pebbles13 New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Thankyou very much for your advice. We shall certainly check the thermometer. As for the humidity, we fill the water compartment (as per the instructions), but do you know what it actually should be during the rotation stage and non-rotation stage?

Cheers,
    Pebbles13

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    There is not a set number for humidity, but I personally get very good results incubating at 45%-50% humidity during the first 18 days, after which I increase it to 65%. A hygrometer is a good investment when you incubate eggs and it need not be an expensive one. I bought a cheapie at a pet shop and it's been working very well for me. The thermometer on the other hand... Rather spend a bit extra [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by