Low hatch rate.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chic CAN, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Chic CAN

Chic CAN The Wisdom Chaser Premium Member

Is there a bacteria that can keep eggs from hatching? I have tried several times and I still have bad fortune even with following the book.. and when I do have a good hatch rate I loose a lot of chicks. My adult chickens don't have illness. I have bleached the incubator after each use. I also have a broodie who only rots the eggs. She will set faor 2.5 weeks then move to a new nest The eggs smell like a dead animal. But, I regret to say, sniffed her and she did not smell. what the heck? I clean my nest boxes. I don't have mites. They are on good feed. And mind you the first tie I hatched it was 1 egg Which had made it into the fridge for 2 days! Mind you it was special so I tried anyhow.. .and it hatched beautifully and the chick was fine. Until it got out :( Anyhow I am just wondering if there can be anything sneaky.. maybe a fungus?

2. HardizzlesFlock

HardizzlesFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    South-East Washington
    Is there a possibility that your rooster is firing blanks?

3. Chic CAN

I get chicks. And I have several Lemon roos. The eggs develop maybe 5% don't. Some only develop part way. Many close to full term. I don't use chemicals in my house when cleaning. (just bleach water or vinegar). So I think it's not fertility issue.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  4. HardizzlesFlock

Dec 31, 2013
    South-East Washington
    Do you know exactly where they come from? They bight just be weak chicks

5. Chic CAN

Where who comes from? The parents?

6. HardizzlesFlock

Dec 31, 2013
    South-East Washington
    Yes. Sometimes the parents or Roos could come from weak stock. I don't know, it's just an idea.

7. Chic CAN

Possibly some of the hatchery hens. I got the lemons from a successful breeder. She was closing them out to make more room for lavenders and Blues. I sure hope not. The ones that make it are sturdy. Oh well. I am the only breeder in the region of these birds now and am building up my flock. I did do a batch leaving cedar chavings in the bator and got a better hatch rate... maybe its the bator.... but after they are born.. I dunno. [​IMG]

8. HardizzlesFlock

Dec 31, 2013
    South-East Washington
    Sometimes chicks just die.. I hope you figure out what is wrong:)

9. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

In another thread they said this often happens earlier in the incubation period. Temperature fluctuations, improper humidity (normally too much from my understanding) or it getting too hot for too long. What kind of incubator are you using? Are you verifying the temperatures with an additional thermometer?
    What is your humidity at?
    Something happens and it makes the chick's weak so they have difficulty hatching or ultimately fail to thrive.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  10. Chic CAN

okay that might be it

I have a still air.. can't remember the brand but it is the most common one sold at feed stores around here. I has an alen wrench looking thermostat knob and I used a thermometer, the humidity is roughly 40% Though my house temp do fluctuate in the bathroom I have them in.. but have hatched throughout the year since we eat them too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by