Low humidity and high humidity during incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bock_Bock, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    What happens?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

To low to long an the egg dries out, the chick sticks to the shell an dies. Usually at hatch time.

To high to long an the egg does not dry out enough, the air space does not get big enough a the chick drowns when it try's to hatch.

3. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    thank you my humididty is staying around 51 or 51 % is this too high? or how high is to high how low is too low?

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    that sounds good, just keep it steady

5. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok i am, i just wanted to make sure as some people say they do a 30-40% so i wasnt sure but thanks im more confident know as this is my first time incubating thanks

6. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    but what % is too high and what is too low?

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I usually try to keep around 40 but many keep at 50. I wouldnt stray too far from those numbers. What is the weather like where you live and do you have adequate ventilation in the incubator? By that I mean a couple of vent holes open? So the eggs can breathe.

I dont know personally I would try not to go below 35% or above 53% till day 18 for chickens. Keeping a consistent humidity is good though. Try to just keep it the same as much as you can through out. I just started hatching last year and the worrying part and wondering if I am doing anything wrong is the worst.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  8. luvchikies

luvchikies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Hey, I have my bator at 52% and they are piping is that too low???

9. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    the weather here is usually in the 50 i live in the bay area in california so we dont have a high humidity here i am trying to keep it as close to 50 as possible, and i know what you mean that the worst part is the worrying if i did something wrong part lol and second i heard is just wainting the last 3 days or more but i am hoping i have a good hatch and thanks for the help

10. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    if its time to hatch i suggest at least 60% from what i read im not an expert but im sure it is suppose to be highter then 52%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by