Low humidity during lockdown, is this okay?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ladyrsanti, Mar 2, 2015.

1. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    Okay, here's the facts. This is not my first hatch. I've been doing it for a few years now in the same incubator: a hova, circulated air. This is my first hatch with shipped eggs, however. We are in lockdown now, day19. 18 eggs made it this far out of 30. It's the wire mesh floor with a layer of paper towels. Temps are steady at 99.5°F. Brand new hygrometer, works great. My old one never worked very well and my hatches sort of reflected that, lots of shrink-wrapping in the past so I'm being a worrywart about it, maybe too much. Anyway, our indoor humidity is currently 10%, dead of winter, you know. Both troughs are filled with water. I've got wash clothes in two of the corners, re-wettable via hose and syringe, 1 wet sponge in another corner and a mason jar in the fourth corner with water. My humidity tends to hover around 55%. When I refill the wash clothes it will spike to 70% for a few minutes and sink back down the fifties within about a half an hour. Not a bit of condensation on the windows so I'm trusting the hygrometer is still correct (I did test it prior to setting the eggs). I'm concerned that I can't get it any higher for any amount of time. I've got it set up so that the paper towel remains dry. Is that best? Anything else I can do? I know this is probably better treatment than any of my other hatches got but I'm still trying to do it right.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    Answering my own question. It's the paper towel. Sorry to waste forum space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by