Low humidity

CrimsonTide248

Songster
11 Years
Aug 11, 2008
Bay Minette
I have some chicken eggs that are at day 18 and I cant get the humidity up. It is at 49%, I have a still air incubator. Should I close up the plugs to keep the humidity in?

You can try that...Also if you add some warmly soakded washcloths or a sponge will help raise your humidity I am also on day 18 and have had a bit of trouble rasing my humidity i finally got it at 63% So that is good enough for me.

You do need air exchange, so be sure not to plug all the air holes. The oxygen exchange is very important!

60% humidity is fine, and reachable with sponges dunked in warm water every 6-8 hours.

Too high humidity has it's own problems- I have had chicks "drown" during high humidity days along with internal high humidity. It is a fine line unfortunately.

Those little fluffy butts need O2 so better to add wet sponges, etc than to plug holes.

Also, once they start hatching that will help keep the humidity up.
You can keep the sponges wet by using a syringe with catheter or other tubing if available or a straw so you don't have to lift the lid and let out your precious moisture and heat.

Most farm stores will sell syringes. Almost any type of flexible tubing or a straw will work with the syringe.

Back
Top Bottom