Low last night 12, high 22, blowing snow and broodies!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rarebreedeggs4u, Dec 25, 2009.

1. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Silly hens, don't they know it's COLDCOLDCOLD outside? The count is now 3 broodies (no lights on in there either!). Kathi, your hens must be talking to mine in secret. Two of the silkies decided to brood at the same time, in the same nest, on a BUNCH of eggs. My ol reliable RIR cross hen is setting on ? eggs in the dog kennel in the barn that I set up for the TURKEY hens! I don't think the turkey girls are laying yet. That sure would surprise that broody girl [​IMG] I'm planning to let the Silkies girls stay in their pen and will just set up a heat lamp if it looks like they'll hatch anything. Ol Red will get a 2' x 4' wire cage I guess and a heater....silly, good girls [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's 60 out there right now.

And gorgeous.

Had a chicken hawk fly over and scare the birds that were free ranging... The rooster crowed the alarm and they all headed either into the coop or under the oleander bushes.

Wonderful Christmas Day.

3. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    I am almost three weeks into my broody sitting on a couple duck eggs and almost two weeks into the same girl sitting on two chicken eggs. She has two duck eggs and two chicken eggs scheduled to hatch the same day. She is in an uninsulated shed and we have had temps down to -20F. This past week has been nice, daytime temps all the way up into the 20's. She has 9 days left before they hatch, if she makes it another week, I will try to move her inside, if she doesn't stay on the eggs, I will put them in an incubator.

4. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Since the Silkies have who knows what (as far as dates), I'll just wait and see. If they hatch some, I'll candle the rest and put them in the bator if they are viable. Red knows what she's doing, so I'll move her soon and let her do her thing.

Mahonri, it sounds beautiful [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by