Low maintenance nesting material for holiday care

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RedKell, Oct 9, 2014.

1. RedKell

RedKell Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2014
    North Western Australia
    OK, as the title suggest I am after suggestions on what would be the best lowest maintenance material to use in the nest boxes and coop. I am going on holiday for 7 weeks, and my teenage daughter will be staying home looking after all the animals. While I am confident she will feed them etc, I have my doubts as to how often and how well she will clean out the coop.
    I currently just use shredded paper in both. I can pull the paper out of the main coop, so she can just hose it out. What would be best in the nest boxes?
    Suggestions please :) Thanks

2. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    Better training for the daughter is the easiest solution for ya. [​IMG]

3. RedKell

RedKell Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2014
    North Western Australia
    [​IMG] Ha!!! Been trying to train her for years! I'm just happy she has promised to feed them all (1 dog, 1 cat, 5 birds, 4 chooks and a pond full of fish)

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Nest boxes
    In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

[​IMG]

5. Ankhdad

Ankhdad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2014
    Thunder Bay, ON
    Are you using anything else on top of the bag? straw, hay?

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by