Low Protein Chicken Food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hooligan, Jan 12, 2008.

1. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Can anyone here suggest a brand of food I might be able to find locally that is low in protein?
    I would like to get some for the rescued broilers to keep them from bulking up more but I am having no luck in my online searches [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just give them regular "flock raiser" as that is usually 16% protein. That will be lower than broiler feed which is often 20-22%.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Flock Raiser here in this area is 20% protein, at least in the crumble form-is it lower protein in the pellet form?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, it probably varies area to area. Ask at the feed store to see what percent your flock raiser comes in. I have the Honor brand flock raiser crumbles and it's just 16%. Now if I could get my sticky fingers on that 20% flock raiser, I'd be one happy clam.

5. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    I was just going to post asking a protein question so I thought I just add to this. Sorry, you can move it if I goofed.

The protein of our Agway is 16% for pellets. My old girls really went through (and two still are) a very bad molt and read here about boosting protein (and possibly dissuading picking) by adding dry cat food. They love it, and although they are eating their layer pellets well, they are going through ~ a cup of cat food a day too. They also get grit, oyster shell and anything else healthy and they eat it all. Is this too much cat food for 9 hens, 5 of which are bantams?

6. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I think my all purpose crumbles are 20% too.
    I heard there is a brand that sells 12% but I can't seem to find it [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, my 11-grain scratch mix (almost no corn) is 13% protein. Nice, nice mix of grains in that. I'll try to find that feed. I know that some feeds meant to be given at the stage right before laying age are about 15% protein to slow down the maturation process of the pullets, but lower ones are usually for roosters only, like 13% gamecock feeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by