Low shedder- “adult chicken parasites”

hwrights04

Songster
5 Years
Jun 17, 2016
East Texas
This is what I was told today after taking a fecal sample to the vet for evaluation...
“Only 2 eggs found in the sample, low shedder, categorized as ‘adult chicken parasites’ told to monitor her for now instead of treat- due to how treatments can cause resistance in the parasites”

So basically that was a waste of money doing that!

I had posted several days ago how we noticed our Easter egger having yellow foamy poop every now and then...at least once or twice a day. Last night I immediately looked at her droppings after she did her business and saw a super tiny, worm moving! It was thinner than a piece of thread! Super skinny.
We also have 3 other hens (another EE & 2 RIR)
So, monitor? Treat anyway? Try holistic treatments first? So frustrating. AND we are headed out of town for 4 nights on the 12th...so I don’t want to come back to a dead hen (she’s loved like a pet). Also will add that we have never worked them- had them for their whole lives- this is our first incident with anything health related.
Pic below to show foamy droppings.

Attachments

• 3ABE6B1A-77CC-4BB8-AEDD-9CE0B160100A.jpeg
    3ABE6B1A-77CC-4BB8-AEDD-9CE0B160100A.jpeg
    693.2 KB · Views: 12

hwrights04

Songster
5 Years
Jun 17, 2016
East Texas
Edited to add: Wishing I had saved the droppings from last night with the thing I saw in it! 🤦‍♀️ For some reason was thinking it had to be super fresh, right out of the butt droppings..

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
You couldve possibly seen a cecal worm which is one of several types of roundworms that can infect poultry. The most common are large roundworms and is easily seen in feces.
In any case, only 2 eggs on the slide means your bird has worms, albeit not many worms. Given the fact that one female roundworm can lay tens of thousands of eggs a day which will be deposited in feces, contaminating the soil, they can and will infect other birds.
I recommend worming all your birds with either Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dose each chicken orally.
Here's a link for you to read with very good information about worms and worming.
https://veterinary-practice.com/article/common-poultry-worms

hwrights04

Songster
5 Years
Jun 17, 2016
East Texas
You couldve possibly seen a cecal worm which is one of several types of roundworms that can infect poultry. The most common are large roundworms and is easily seen in feces.
In any case, only 2 eggs on the slide means your bird has worms, albeit not many worms. Given the fact that one female roundworm can lay tens of thousands of eggs a day which will be deposited in feces, contaminating the soil, they can and will infect other birds.
I recommend worming all your birds with either Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dose each chicken orally.
Here's a link for you to read with very good information about worms and worming.
Thank you!
I was also wondering if it could’ve been ace all worm that I saw.
Also had me wondering— Are cecal worms only deposited in the cecal droppings?

hwrights04

Songster
5 Years
Jun 17, 2016
East Texas

Will we need to discard their eggs while they are on the medication?

Sue Gremlin

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 1, 2013
Vicksburg, MI
I would interpret that report that the weird feces is the result of something other than intestinal parasites.
I'll add that a super tiny worm in the feces could be one of a few things, some not a problem at all, and some a big problem. Given that the fecal you got gave you essentially no information, I'd give them fenbendazole.

Last edited:

hwrights04

Songster
5 Years
Jun 17, 2016
East Texas
I would interpret that report that the weird feces is the result of something other than intestinal parasites.
I'll add that a super tiny worm in the feces could be one of a few things, some not a problem at all, and some a big problem. Given that the fecal you got gave you essentially no information, I'd give them fenbendazole.
Thank you!

hwrights04

Songster
5 Years
Jun 17, 2016
East Texas

Do I dose them once and then again in 10 days or for 5 days in a row for possible cecal worms? From what I can tell from researching, the two doses 10 days apart only treats roundworms and that all other types of worms need the 5 day dosing. Is that correct?
Also, what about discarding their eggs during treatment?

Top Bottom