low temps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poultrygeist, Oct 12, 2009.

1. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    Is it to cold at 36 degrees for my 8 week old chicks at night?

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Have they been outside and gotten use to the temps? What kind of chicks are they? How many of them are they? Do they have a draft free space to stay in? I can say they are usually alright unless they are taken from a really warm area and placed in a cold one. They would be ok with protection from drafts and damp. If they have large combs they will need some vaseline on them. Gloria Jean

3. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    They are the 6 chicks described at the bottom of all my posts. They have been outside for 20 days and nights. The coop is 5x6' insulated and draft free!

4. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    i would still at least have a heat lamp on him

5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I think a heat lamp would be advisable also. Make sure you get one that has a wire or plastic guard on it so the bulb doesn't come in contact with the bedding if it falls off the hook in the ceiling.

6. aka Rachel

aka Rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a pic of my 7 week old chicks enjoying some brisk breezes and a temp of 5c! It was cold..

[​IMG]

And the temp is certainly going down past 0c these past few nights. I have no heat lamp on and the coop is insulated and draft free..mine don't need any heat yet, or for a while that I can see.

[​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Today I was thinking about turning back on the AC unit in the coop... 102 here this afternoon.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  8. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Do they have the mother hen to keep them warm? Mine are also 8 weeks old and have been with the rest of the flock for several weeks now. They are in and out of the coop with the rest of them. All but two of them get under the mother's wings at night. Those two roost together on a ledge over the "people" door, as high as they can get. The other members of the flock are roosting in groups but seem to be handling the lower temps (not below 40 degrees yet) well. My coop was formerly one of those wooden garden sheds so it isn't insulated. It is well-built and tight in spite of it's age.
    If you use a heat-lamp, just be careful. They can cause a fire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by