1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lower feed cost???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ajnChickens, Jan 10, 2014.

1. ajnChickens

ajnChickens New Egg

Nov 15, 2013
    Lakeland, Florida
    I have been trying to find creative ways to lower my feed cost for my future flock. I am already raising a mealworm colony and in the spring I will raise black soldier fly larva. I came across a recent website about growing wheat fodder. According to the site, a couple cups oat wheat will turn into 10 lbs of fodder that is more healty than grain alone. Has anyone tried this yet? I am considering starting this method but wanted some feedback first.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    More digestible, but the increased weight is mostly water.
    All you ever wanted to know about fodder here.

1 person likes this.
  3. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    I also suggest try looking into Fermented Feeds. They eat a bit less and get more nutrition out of the food. It takes more care, but its worth it. I feed eggs to them, mostly ones I can't eat myself. This includes the shell and always cooked. Also, look in other places for corn or other grains. Like directly from the feed mills or even hunting supply stores. Sometimes, they are 1 or 2 bucks cheaper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by