1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lower Long Beak

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sfoelee, Oct 21, 2009.

1. sfoelee

sfoelee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    east bay,california
    i just noticed one of my breeder males is growing a longer lower beak. my male has just developed this as i have never seen one before. i included a picture. notice the extension on lower beak. i tried a lot of angles but only this picture is clear. does anyone know about this strangeness? should i just forget about its beak and cut if off? should i ignore it? any opinions?
    [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Are you sure it's not that part of his top beak is broken? I've never seen that, though I don't inspect mine all that closely [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THATS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE TO ME.... I HAVE 1 LIKE THAT, HASNT SEEMED TO BOTHER HIM AT ALL... I'D SAY LEAVE IT ALONE AND JUST OBSERVE THE BIRD.... MAKE SURE ITS EATING AND DRINKING OK AND IT'LL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF...

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:THATS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE TO ME.... I HAVE 1 LIKE THAT, HASNT SEEMED TO BOTHER HIM AT ALL... I'D SAY LEAVE IT ALONE AND JUST OBSERVE THE BIRD.... MAKE SURE ITS EATING AND DRINKING OK AND IT'LL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF...

At least you know there won't be any picking coming from that guy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by