Lowering humidity once chicks hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Redhead Rae, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Once all my eggs are hatched, which they are, YAY! Is it ok to lower the humidity to help them dry out? I keep sponges in my incubator and can remove them easily to lower the humidity. I just want to get them nice and fluffed up until I move them to the brooder. IMG_7472.JPG

2. Harmony Fowl

Harmony Fowl Songster

Jul 17, 2017
    Virginia
    Yes. I actually keep a separate incubator where I maintain the temperature and not the humidity. Hatched chicks go in there so they don’t knock the unhatched eggs around. They also dry more thoroughly there than in the humidity of the regular bator.

3. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Thanks, the chick that hatched at 6pm last night isn't even dry yet. I've removed the sponges and the incubator is starting to dry out.

4. Harmony Fowl

Harmony Fowl Songster

Jul 17, 2017
    Virginia
    Mine never dry entirely if left in the regular incubator. I’ve always thought telling people to leave them until they dry is not sound advice or the chicks would starve in there.

HuskerHens18 likes this.
  5. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    I have a heater plate in my brooder and they dry off nicely under that. But my brooder hasn't been vacated by last week's chicks yet (too cold to move them outside), so I want to make sure these babies are walking well and are dry before I add them to the brooder.

Harmony Fowl likes this.
  6. Harmony Fowl

Harmony Fowl Songster

Jul 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I totally understand. I do hatches four weeks apart and brood inside for about a week and it’s always a rush to integrate those in the outdoor brooder with the flock so the new chicks don’t stink the house up too badly.

Redhead Rae likes this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are they wet or 'slicked' (gluey chicks that are dry but look wet - the brylcreem look)?

You're gonna need more incubators and more heat plates ;)

Redhead Rae likes this.
  8. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    They are ever so slightly gluey, they look more like their fluff is spiked instead of pasted to them. They are dry now and in the brooder. The 1 week old chicks are doing great with them.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: