Lowes or Home Depot Coop Remodel Pics Requested

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by momofthehouse, Feb 9, 2014.

1. momofthehouse

momofthehouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    My husband wants to build a coop from the ground up but I honestly dont know if he has the time. I am contemplating buying a "barn" from our local Lowes or Home Depot then doing all the add ons to it. I have another thread on building your own coop but more curious on replies for those that have gone this route and seeing pics of the inside maybe the before and after pics? How big did you get (sqft) and how many chickens you have in it and are you happy with it?

I live in the Pacific Northwest so would be really cool to see if anyone from this area has done this type of coop.

Thanks!

2. momofthehouse

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    and also what type of floor are you using in your "barn/coop" I am thinking deep litter method....

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    When I first got into chickens years ago I bought a 6x8 pre-built shed from a shed place and customized the inside for my chickens adding roosts on the left side nest boxes on the right with the pop door to the run underneath the next boxes. In between the nest boxes and roosts is where I hung the feeder. I just left the floor as it came just sheets of plywood. I do not currently have photos of it on this computer unfortunately. I am in the process of buying a house and plan on going the same route again only much bigger. Probably going to get a 10x14ft shed. I stay away from the barn style shed myself because the roof space is a waste for me. All the dust from the chickens collects up there and I don't want to store anything in that. I also plan on covering the plywood floor with linoleum this time to make it last longer and plan on putting a poop shelf under the roosts to keep that mess off the floor and easier to clean up.

1 person likes this.
  4. SequoyahFarms

SequoyahFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Knoxville Tn
    [​IMG] My coop is an 8x8 "barn". I don't have pics of the inside but it works great! I have 2x2 roosts running the entire inside length on two walls, each a different height, 4' and 6'. I hung them with brakets connected to the studs so the are very sturdy. They stick out from the wall about 12-14 inches. The nest boxes hang on the other wall. The food and water hang in the middle. I have a grow out area 5x3 with a top on it that doubles as a poop board also. I removed the doors and replaced it with an oversized pallet with hardware cloth attached on the back for plenty of ventilation. Then attached the run following the pitch of the roof.

1 person likes this.
  5. momofthehouse

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    How many chickens do you have in your 8x8 space?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  6. SequoyahFarms

Mar 4, 2013
    Knoxville Tn
    I have 8

7. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Where is the door? Is it the pallets? Do they open? Just wondering...

8. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    New Braunfels, TX
    1 person likes this.
  9. SequoyahFarms

Mar 4, 2013
    Knoxville Tn
    I used one oversized bottom of a furniture shipping crate pallet (I had to cut the top off, it was 8 feet tall) as the door. It's hung by three heavy duty gate hinges and has hardware cloth on the back. I was trying to figure out how to add more ventilation when I got the idea and also like the horizontal line which gave it a more modern look.

10. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    It's just going to be a typical A frame shed 10 x 14 similar to this one in the picture.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by