1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lowes Playhouse Pictures...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SterlingAcres, May 24, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've read the thread already...

I was wondering if any of you have finished and have pictures for us? I think it's an adorable idea and I can't wait to see them all [​IMG] Congrats to those who scored them at rock bottom prices too!

2. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Come on, somebody. Anyone?

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I know right, I've been waiting for a reply on this forever!! [​IMG]

4. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    That would be cool if there was a new thread started of everyone's completed Lowe's Playhouse coop, since the other thread is sooooo long. Great idea!!!!!!

I have one that is still in the box. It's actually for my daughter's chicks that she doesn't have yet. She's been to busy w/ school to even paint it, but is finally out for the summer now to get going on it.

I'd love to see pics to. [​IMG]

5. Jaclyn

Jaclyn New Egg

Jun 1, 2008
    Toledo, OH
    `We are finally almost finished with the "90 minute to build" Lowe's Playhouse. The project has consumed much of our time the past month.

Here's the complete Chicken Coop, with my partner finally having a few minutes to relax and enjoy the chickens. We built the Hen House (ie the Lowe's Playhouse) on an elevated deck platform to allow the chickens a shady place to rest.

[​IMG]

Here's the front of the Hen House

[​IMG]

And a view of the side with the window. We installed a flower box.

[​IMG]

And finally the other side. We built the playhouse with this side turned upside down so the window became the chicken door. We invested in one of the automatic door closers and so far the girls are usually getting inside before the door closes.

[​IMG]

We learned a lot reading this forum, and wanted to build the most predator proof home for our girls possible. We used rolls & rolls & rolls of hardware cloth. Not only did we dig and bury an apron of the hardware cloth around the pen, we also installed a double layer of wire mesh on the floor. We even hardware clothed inside the roof in case a raccoon tries to pry off the shingles.

We aren't quite finished with the inside yet (see "90 minute to build" above) but will post more photo's once we are really done (estimate about 900 hours). We need to do more landscaping. And we haven't decided whether to stain the roof or paint it.

We'll appreciate your comments and suggestions.

6. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    That is easily the cutest chicken coop I have seen in quite some time! [​IMG] BRAVO!

7. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    That looks great! Y'all have done a great job. I am impressed with your predator-proofing, and I am curious about that automatic door. Is this something that can be found at a store like Lowe's, or did it come from a poultry supply place?

8. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice job with the construction... great set-up for your chicks. [​IMG] And thanks for the photographs!

Carla

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

So what does a lowes playhouse cost? We just spend 600 on our 8x8 coop we built! how big is the playhouse?

10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dang Jaclyn, that is some first post, great coop pics!!! BTW, welcome to BYC !!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by