1. NakedNeck

NakedNeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    We are thinking about just buying a shed from lowes (have to have something quick) that is 10 x 12. I have looked at the coops on here, but I am not sure which ones are built from a store bought shed.
    Could anyone point/show me a coop that someone made with a store bought shed? Thank you! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    not much science to it.... get what looks good to you and add what you need. nest boxes, pop door, roosts, etc. consider whether or not you want the people door inside the run or outside. if it has windows they will need to be covered with wire. it really is a great way to start

3. NakedNeck

Apr 5, 2009
    Thank you! [​IMG]

4. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Our shed is not from Lowe's but it's a "storage shed" and we're turning it into a "coop". Alot of people on here have done the same. Our shed has no windows or ventilation so those both will be addressed in our renovations but otherwise we'll add a pop door and then roost and our nests and it will be good to go!
    We've done very minimal remoldeling so it was an easy option for us, was already built and we just had a truck haul it in and set it down.

5. NakedNeck

Apr 5, 2009
    Is it okay if the shed is metal and not wood?

6. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Quote:moisture will condense on exposed metal without some serious ventilation. depending on where you are that level of ventilation may not be practical. i'd preffer wood and if i could not frame out the interior and cover with wood and venatilate the space between the metal and wood i'd stay away from metal building.

7. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

You might check your area for shed companies that are independent. We found that what was available at Lowe's and HD were much more $$ than locally built sheds, and you have the option of customizing the general design. Like, where you want the door, window, etc.

We went this route, as we just didn't have time to build what we wanted. This way the structure is done, and we can spend our time adding the yards, adding extra windows, creating a storage area inside, etc.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  8. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    We got a shed kit from a local lumber company. It was easy to customize it to my liking. Working out great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by