Lowest temps have dropped and still had success?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wrestling_mom, Oct 5, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    If you drop to 95, is that the kiss of death? This is day 6.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It depends on how long they were at that temperature. It takes a while for the interior of the egg to cool off that much when the incubator temperature drops. It is not a good thing, but it is not necessarily the kiss of death. I suggest you get the temperatures where they need to be and candle maybe tomorrow. Then candle again a few days later to see if they are still developing.

Good luck!

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I think you'll find they'll be ok [​IMG] Its higher temps that can prove lethal.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    One of my incubators went down to 93 the one day because of a power outage. When the power came back on one of the incubators went up to 115. Another time on our coldest night I lost power, I was 2 weeks into incubation. The temp in the incubator was 78 degrees when I discovered it. I put the incubator on a battery pack with an inverter and brought the temp back up. I was really worried but I still had good hatches. It takes time for the internal temperature in the eggs to cool down or heat up so I don't think that will really affect the hatch.

5. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    I hope everything's ok. I don't have another warm place to put them, and it seems if the fire in the woodstove goes out, the temp drops. It's at 99 now. I started another fire a bit ago, so I'm sure the temps will rise again. Humidity is only 22 again. It was 16. This late summer/fall hatches are HARD.

6. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Mine got down to 84 due to a power outage. It was on day 6. I candled them 2 days later and they are fine!

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yeah, it's really the internal temp you want to be thinking about, not just the air temp in the bator. Like Cmom says, it does take a while for eggs to either heat up or cool down, so if your air temp dropped to 95 and you caught it within a couple of hours, chances are the temp inside your eggs was still up above 98...

I have an old homemade styro bator. The lightbulb goes on at 94F and switches off at 106F, but a water wiggler set up with a thermometer probe inside it as a test 'egg' shows that internal temp stays right around the 99-100F mark.

And Pete is right. Low temps can slow down your eggs a bit, but high temps can kill them.

Some people on here have found their bators as low as 60F with cold eggs in them, and still had them go on to hatch out okay!

8. Lady EE

Lady EE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Earth
    We went to 75 and 2 out of 21 are still alive.But I don't think it was because of the temp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by