LSU School of Veterinary Medicine culled over 700 birds!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kuntrygirl, Nov 4, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    LSU School of Veterinary Medicine came out to my neighbor's house and culled over 100 of his chickens and over 500 of his quail. LSU said that they had Newcastle Disease. My neighbor lives around the corner from me. I am about 150 yards from him. My question is..... Should I be worried because I already am. I am paranoid!!! Someone who purchased some chickens from this man had LSU test his birds but his birds did not have Newcastle Disease. The man said that LSU told him to purchase an antibiotic (not sure the name just yet) and give to his chickens for 10 days and to follow up with electrolytes. I will do the same thing as well. I just don't know what antibiotic to purchase. I will also call LSU and have them come out to my house and test my birds as well. I nor my birds have had any contact with this man or any of his birds. Do you think that this disease can make it down to my house from 150 yard around the corner. I am in a state of shock at this point. Does anyone have any experience with Newcastle Disease. I am open for any and all suggestions, directions and advice on what to do. I am about to lose my mind. I have over 100 chickens. Can this disease spread to turkeys, ducks and geese?

Is Newcastle airborne?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Look it up online. I just did. There is a vaccine it said.

Good luck...how scary..

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    That doesn't make any sense at all.

Why would someone birds test negative and result in a depopulation of the parent birds???

Also, why would a veterinarian prescribe medication for a virus #1 and #2 for something they may or maynot have?

It all seems a little sketchy to me. Maybe you should call LSU and ask them if there is a depopulation disease in your area.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    pips&peeps :

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Why would someone birds test negative and result in a depopulation of the parent birds???

Also, why would a veterinarian prescribe medication for a virus #1 and #2 for something they may or maynot have?

It all seems a little sketchy to me. Maybe you should call LSU and ask them if there is a depopulation disease in your area.

Yea, I wondered about the same thing. I wonder if the quails had Newcastle and they went ahead and culled the chickens as well. Maybe they had to cull the entire flock for some reason. I will call them and ask that question.​

5. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    If these birds had newcastle there is no antibiotic that will help your birds, the only thing that would help would be to vaccinate. Sounds to me like someone was a little Windy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by